User-Attributed Rights in DRM
Current Digital Rights Management (DRM) systems lack a functionality that allows a user to have more control over his content licenses to preserve his privacy or otherwise protect his interests. This paper presents an approach to increasing user’s control of domain-based protected content without sacrificing content owner’s control. The proposed method is based on a specific form of a delegation license and an activation mechanism. The paper also discusses a practical realization of the proposed concept as well as its cryptographic enforcement, architectural aspects and system complexity. The effectiveness and simplicity of the approach are illustrated by a practical realization of several motivating examples.
KeywordsDigital Rights Management (DRM) delegation user-attributed rights
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bandmann, O., Dam, M., Firozabadi, B.S.: Constrained Delegation. In: IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Navarro, G., Firozabadi, B.S., Rissanen, E., Borrell, J.: Constrained delegation in XML-based Access Control and Digital Rights Management Standards. In: CNIS 2003, Special Session on Architectures and Languages for Digital Rights Management and Access Control (December 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Thomson Multimedia, SmartRight (2003), www.smartright.org
- 4.IBM, IBM Response to DVB-CPT Call for Proposals for Content Protection & Copy Management: xCP Cluster Protocol, DVB-CPT-716 (19-10-2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Gildred, J., Andreasyan, A., Osawa, R., Stahl, T.: Protected Entertainment Rights Management (PERM): Specification Draft v0.54, Pioneer Research Center USA Inc., Thomson (9-2-2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Digital Video Broadcasting Project, for Authorized Domains see DVB-CPT Authorized Domain: Definition / Requirements, cpt-018r5 (2002), www.dvb.org
- 7.Open Mobile Alliance, DRM Architecture, version 2.0 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Vevers, R., Hibbert, C.: Copy Protection and Content Management in the DVB. In: IBC Conference Publication, IBC 2002, Amsterdam, pp. 458–466 (September 15, 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.van den Heuvel, S.A.F.A., Jonker, W., Kamperman, F.L.A.J., Lenoir, P.J.: Secure Content Management in Authorised Domains. In: IBC Conference Publication, IBC 2002, Amsterdam, September 15, 2002, pp. 467–474 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Yo, Y., Chiueh, T.-c.: Enterprise Digital Rights Management: Solutions against Information Theft by Insiders, RPE report (September 2004)Google Scholar