From Demo to Practice the Mexar Path to Space Operations
This paper describes a software tool that synthesizes commands for data downlink from the on-board memory of the Mars Express spacecraft to the ground station. Some features of the tool are depicted, showing how AI techniques for planning, scheduling, domain modeling and intelligent interaction have been put into context in a challenging application environment. The system is the result of a two steps effort: a first study which produced a demonstration prototype able to capture the main aspects of the problem, and a second effort that has developed a fielded application completely integrated in operations environment. The tool is in daily use by the mission planning team of Mars Express at the European Space Agency since February 2005.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cesta, A., Cortellessa, G., Oddi, A., Policella, N.: A CSP-Based Interactive Decision Aid for Space Mission Planning. In: Cappelli, A., Turini, F. (eds.) AI*IA 2003. LNCS, vol. 2829. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Oddi, A., Policella, N.: A Max-Flow Approach for Improving Robustness in a Spacecraft Downlink Schedule. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Planning and Scheduling for Space, IWPSS 2004, ESA-ESOC, Darmstadt, Germany (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Cortellessa, G., Cesta, A., Oddi, A., Policella, N.: User Interaction with an Automated Solver. The Case of a Mission Planner. Psychnology Journal 2(1), 140–162 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Oddi, A., Policella, N.: Improving Robustness of Spacecraft Downlink Schedules. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics–Part C: Applications and Reviews (to appear, 2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Jonsson, A., Morris, P., Muscettola, N., Rajan, K., Smith, B.: Planning in Interplanetary Space: Theory and Practice. In: Proceedings of the Fifth Int. Conf. on Artificial Intelligence Planning and Scheduling, AIPS 2000 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Smith, B.D., Engelhardt, B.E., Mutz, D.H.: The RADARSAT-MAMM Automated Mission Planner. AI Magazine 23(2), 25–36 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Ai-Chang, M., Bresina, J., Charest, L., Chase, A., Hsu, J., Jonsson, A., Kanefsky, B., Morris, P., Rajan, K., Yglesias, J., Chafin, B., Dias, W., Maldague, P.: MAPGEN: Mixed-Initiative Planning and Scheduling for the Mars Exploration Rover Mission. IEEE Intelligent Systems 19, 8–12 (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar