Support Vector Machines for Regression and Applications to Software Quality Prediction
Software metrics are the key tool in software quality management. In this paper, we propose to use support vector machines for regression applied to software metrics to predict software quality. In experiments we compare this method with other regression techniques such as Multivariate Linear Regression, Conjunctive Rule and Locally Weighted Regression. Results on benchmark dataset MIS, using mean absolute error, and correlation coefficient as regression performance measures, indicate that support vector machines regression is a promising technique for software quality prediction. In addition, our investigation of PCA based metrics extraction shows that using the first few Principal Components (PC) we can still get relatively good performance.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Witten, I., Frank, E.: Data Mining –Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques with Java Implementation. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Friedman, J.H.: Stochastic Gradient Boosting. Technical Report, Stanford University (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Atkeson, C., Moore, A., Schaal, S.: Locally Weighted Learning. AI Reviews (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Zeng, X.Y., Chen, Y.W., et al.: A New Texture Feature based on PCA Maps and Its Application to Image Retrieval. IEICE Trans. Inf. and Syst. E86-D, 929–936 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Garmus, D., Herron, D.: Measuring The Software Process. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Trafalis, T.B., Ince, H.: Support Vector Machine for Regression and Applications to Financial Forecasting, ijcnn. In: IEEE-INNS-ENNS International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN 2000), vol. 6, p. 6348 (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Smola, A.J., Scholkopf, B.: A Tutorial on Support Vector Regression, NEUROCOLT2 Technical Report Series, NC2-TR-1998-030 (1998)Google Scholar
- 14.Muller, K.H., Paulish, D.J.: Software Metrics. IEEE Press/Chapman & Hall, London (1993)Google Scholar
- 15.Munson, J.C., Khoshgoftaar, T.M.: Software Metrics for Reliability Assessment. In: Handbook of Software Reliability and System Reliability. McGraw-Hill, Hightstown (1996)Google Scholar
- 21.Correlation Coefficient (2006), http://www.neatideas.com/cc.htm
- 22.Joachims, T.: Making Large-Scale SVM Learning Practical, Technical Report, LS-8-24, Computer Science Department, University of Dortmund (1998)Google Scholar