Supporting Resource-Based Analysis of Task Information Needs
We investigate here an approach to modelling the dynamic information requirements of a user performing a number of tasks, addressing both the provision and representation of information, viewing the information as being distributed across a set of resources. From knowledge of available resources at the user interface, and task information needs we can identify whether the system provides the user with adequate support for task execution. We look at how we can use tools to help reason about these issues, and illustrate their use through an example. We also consider a full range of analyses suggested using this approach which could potentially be supported by automated reasoning systems.
KeywordsModel Check User Action Interactive System Task Model Read Instruction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Butterworth, R., Blandford, A., Duke, D., Young, R.M.: Formal user models and methods for reasoning about interactive behaviour. In: Siddiqi, J., Roast, C. (eds.) Formal Aspects of the Human-Computer Interaction, pp. 176–192. SHU Press (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Kirwan, B., Ainsworth, L.: A Guide to Task Analysis. Taylor & Francis, Abington (1992)Google Scholar
- 8.Lewis, C., Polson, P., Wharton, C., Rieman, J.: Testing a walkthrough methodology for theory-based design of walk-up-and-use interfaces. In: CHI 1990 Proceedings, April 1990, pp. 235–242. ACM Press, New York (1990)Google Scholar
- 9.Loer, K.: Model-based Automated Analysis for Dependable Interactive Systems. PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of York (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Navarre, D., et al.: A tool suite for integrating task and system models through scenarios. In: Johnson, C. (ed.) DSV-IS 2001. LNCS, vol. 2220, pp. 88–113. Springer, Heidelberg (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Norman, D.E.: The Psychology of Everyday Things. Basic Book Inc. (1988)Google Scholar
- 12.Paternò, F.: Model Based Design and Evaluation of Interactive Applications. In: Applied Computing. Springer, Berlin (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Paternò, F.D.: A Method for Formal Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems. PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of York (1995)Google Scholar