Massive Concurrent Deletion of Keys in B*-Tree
B*-tree is an improved variant of well known B-tree data structure which has extensive applications in data storage and retrieval systems including parallel database systems. In this paper, we present an algorithm for deleting keys of B*-tree concurrently in the case that the number of to-be-deleted keys is more than a half of the total keys in the tree. The proposed algorithm can be implemented on CREW PRAM model in optimal O(log2 n + Blog B n) time with the total processors equal to the keys to be deleted. n is the total number of keys in B*-tree and B is equal to half of the keys in an internal node containing maximum keys. It counts as an improvement upon the previous comparable known algorithms by a reduction of factor B in the (log2 n)-term of the time complexity.
KeywordsInternal Node Time Complexity Analysis Temporary Array Total Processor Deletion Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Batory, D.S.: B + -trees and indexed sequential files: A performance comparison. ACM SIGMOD, 30–39 (1981)Google Scholar
- 4.Berliner, H.: The B*-tree search algorithm: a best first proof procedure, Tech. Rep. CMU-CA-78-112 Computer Sci. Depart. Carnegie-Mellon Univ., Pittsburg (1978)Google Scholar
- 5.Comer, D.: The ubiquitous B-tree. ACM Comput. Surveys 11(2) (June 1979)Google Scholar
- 6.Das, S., Demuynck, M.: Concurrent algorithms for B-trees, Tech. Rep. CRPDC-92-9, Center for Research in Parallel and Distributed Comput., Dept. Of Computer Sci., Univ. of North Texas, 3 (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.Hankins, R.A., Patel, J.M.: Effect of node size on the performance of cache-conscious B + -trees. In: ACM SIGMETRICS 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Lanin, V., Shasha, D.: A Symmetric concurrent B-tree algorithm. In: Proc. of fall joint computer conference, pp. 380–389 (1986)Google Scholar
- 13.McCreight, E.: Pagination of B-trees with variable length records. Comm. of the ACM 20(9) (September 1977)Google Scholar
- 15.Qui, K., Akl, S.G.: Parallel Maximum Sum Algorithms on Interconnection Network, Tech. Rep. No. 99-431Google Scholar
- 16.Rao, J., Ross, K.A.: Making B + -tree cache conscious in main memory. In: SIGMOD 2000, pp. 475–486 (2000)Google Scholar
- 17.Rosenberg, A.L., Synder, L.: Time and Space Optimality in B-trees. ACM Trans. on Database System 6(1) (March 1981)Google Scholar
- 19.Srinivasan, V., Carey, M.: Performance of B-tree concurrency control algorithms. In: Proceedings of SIGMOD 1991, pp. 416–425 (1991)Google Scholar
- 20.Wang, B., Chen, G.: Cost-optimal parallel algorithms for constructing B-trees. In: Proceedings of the 20th Annual International Conference on Parallel Processing, pp. 294–295 (1991)Google Scholar