Building Low-Cost Music Controllers
This paper presents our work on building low-cost music controllers intended for educational and creative use. The main idea was to build an electronic music controller, including sensors and a sensor interface, on a “10 euro” budget. We have experimented with turning commercially available USB game controllers into generic sensor interfaces, and making sensors from cheap conductive materials such as latex, ink, porous materials, and video tape. Our prototype controller, the CheapStick, is comparable to interfaces built with commercially available sensors and interfaces, but at a fraction of the price.
KeywordsVideo Tape Sensor Interface Game Controller Musical Expression Acoustic Instrument
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fléty, E., Leroy, N., Ravarini, J.-C., Bevilacqua, F.: Versatile sensor acquisition system utilizing network technology. In: Proceedings of the 2004 Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME 2004), Hamamatsu, Japan, pp. 157–161 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Allison, J., Place, T.: Sensorbox: Practical audio interface fo gestural performance. In: Proceedings of the 2003 Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression (NIME 2003), Montreal, Canada (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Overholt, D.: The create usb interface - where art meets electronic, 13, November (2005), http://www.create.ucsb.edu/dano/CUI/
- 4.Sullivan, D.O., Igoe, T.: Physical Computing - Sensing and Controlling the Physical World with Computers. Thomson Course Technology, Boston (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage 13 November (2005)
- 6.Wanderley, M.M., Koehly, R.: Methods for the in-house development of sensors for musical applications (manuscript in preparation)Google Scholar
- 8.Paradiso, J., Abler, C., Hsiao, K.-y., Reynolds, M.: The magic carpet: Physical sensing for immersive environments. In: Proc. of the CHI 1997 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Extended Abstracts, pp. 277–278. ACM Press, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Escobedo, T.: The synthstick (May 7, 2005), http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/synthstick/synthstick.html
- 10.Stordeur, A.: Ribbon controller (March 8, 2005), http://www.angelfire.com/music2/theanalogcottage/ribcont.htm
- 12.Steim: Junxion (computer program) (March 8, 2005), http://www.steim.org/steim/junxion.html