Comprehensive Analytical Models to Evaluate the TCP Performance in 802.11 WLANs
The interaction between TCP flows and the IEEE 802.11 MAC protocol is analyzed in this paper. The goal is to provide comprehensive models capable of predicting the TCP performance (throughput) in WLAN Hot-Spot networks with persistent elastic flows. A model of the IEEE 802.11 MAC protocol is first introduced and validated through simulations. Using the MAC model as a basis, we then analyze several modeling strategies to catch the main interactions between TCP and MAC protocols. Results obtained from the models are compared among themselves and against simulations, and show the accuracy and the superior simplicity of the proposed models with respect to previously published work.
KeywordsMobile Node Medium Access Control Medium Access Control Protocol Distribute Coordination Function Medium Access Control Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IEEE Std 802.11; Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) specifications, IEEE Std 802.11-1999 (revised, 2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Na, C., Chen, J.K., Rappaport, T.S.: Hotspot Traffic Statistics and Throughput Models for Several Applications. In: IEEE Globecom 2004, Dallas, Texas, USA (November 2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Miorandi, D., Kherani, A.A., Altman, E.: A Queuing Model for HTTP Traffic over IEEE 802.11 WLANs, ITC Specialist Seminar on Performance Evaluation of Wireless and Mobile Systems, Antwerp (September 2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Lebeugle, F., Proutière, A.: User-level performance in WLAN hotspots. ITC Specialist Seminar on Performance Challenges for Efficient Next Generation Networks, China (September 2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Leith, D.J., Clifford, P.: Using the 802.11e EDCF to Achieve TCP Upload Fairness over WLAN links. Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc, and Wireless Networks (WiOpt), Trentino, Italy (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Pilosof, S., Ramjee, R., Raz, D., Shavitt, Y., Sinha, P.: Understanding TCP fairness over Wireless LAN. IEEE Infocom, San Francisco, USA (March-April 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Bruno, R., Conti, M., Gregori, E.: Stochastic Models of TCP Flows over 802.11 WLANs, Technical Report IIT TR-11/2005, CNR-IIT (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Bianchi, G.: Performance Analysis of the IEEE 802.11 Distributed Coordination Function. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 18(3) (March 2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Bellalta, B., Meo, M., Oliver, M.: Admission Control in IEEE 802.11e EDCA-based WLANs, Technical Document TD(06)12. 5th COST 290 MCM Meeting. Delft, The Netherlands (February 2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Ns2 Network Simulator, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/
- 13.Chen, G(G.): Component Oriented Simulation Toolkit, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~cheng3/