A Cooperative Multilevel Tabu Search Algorithm for the Covering Design Problem
This work describes an adaptation of multilevel search to the covering design problem. The search engine is a tabu search algorithm which explores several levels of overlapping search spaces of a t–(v,k,λ) covering design problem. Tabu search finds “good” approximations of covering designs in each search space. Blocks from those approximate solutions are transferred to other levels, redefining the corresponding search spaces. The dynamics of cooperation among levels tends to regroup good approximate solutions into small search spaces. Tabu search has been quite effective at finding re-combinations of blocks in small search spaces which provide successful search directions in larger search spaces.
KeywordsMultilevel algorithms Covering design problem Tabu search meta-heuristic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J.A.: Bate. A Generalized Covering Problem. PhD thesis, University of Manitoba (1978)Google Scholar
- 6.Crainic, T.G., Li, Y., Toulouse, M.: A Simple Cooperative Multilevel Algorithm for the Capacitated Multicommodity Network Design. Computer & Operations Research (accepted for publication)Google Scholar
- 8.Gordon, C.J.: Web site of covering bounds, http://www.ccrwest.org/cover.html
- 10.Hendrickson, B., Leland, R.: The Chaco User’s Guide: Version 2.0. Report SAND95-2344, Sandia National Laboratories (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Mills, W.H., Mullin, R.C.: Coverings and packings. In: Contemporary Design Theory: A Collection of Surveys. Wiley-Interscience Series in Discrete Mathematics and Optimization, pp. 371–399 (1992)Google Scholar
- 14.Nurmela, K.J.: Constructing combinatorial designs by local search. Technical report, Helsinki University of Technology (November 1993)Google Scholar
- 15.Nurmela, K.J., Östergård, P.R.J.: Constructing covering designs by simulated annealing. Technical report, Helsinki University of Technology (January 1993)Google Scholar