Location of Tropical Cyclone Center with Intelligent Image Processing Technique
Digital imaging techniques have been applied to locate tropical cyclone centers. In order to improve the precision of location, a novel intelligent automatic system framework will be proposed, to locate the tropical cyclone center intelligently and automatically, based on satellite photographs. After pre-processing, several center location technologies will be considered, based on combining movement of whirl and translation. According to the tropical cyclone’s symmetry shape and its spiral movement feature, logarithmic helix is used to fit the edge or skeleton of the cyclone feature cloud, which can be used to estimate the center of the cyclone. According to its movement feature, a rotation matching methodology will be proposed to catch the track through imaging sequence. As an example, the computing methodology produced was applied in cyclone forecasting by the Shanghai Meteorology Center. The proposed solution was confirmed to have a potential for successful application to tropical cyclone center tracking.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Poon, C.H., Chau, C.P., Ghadiali, M.I.: Using Fuzzy Mathematical Morphology for Locating Tropical Cyclones in Satellite Imagery. In: IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, pp. 1353–1356 (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Dvorak, V.F.: A technique for the Analysis and Forecasting of Tropical Cyclone Intensities from Satellite Pictures. U.S. Dept. Commerce, Washington, D.C., NOAA Tech. Memo. NESS 45 (1973)Google Scholar
- 3.Lee, S.T., Liu, N.K.: An Elastic Contour Matching Model for Tropical Cyclone Pattern Recognition. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 413–417 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Yip, C.L., Wong, K.Y.: Efficient and Effective Tropical Cyclone Eye Fix Using Genetic Algorithms, pp. 654–660. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Lai, L.L., Braun, H., Zhang, Q.P., Wu, Q., Ma, Y., Sun, W.C., Yang, L.: Intelligent Weather Forecast. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics. IEEE, Shanghai (2004) (invited paper)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang, Q.P., Lai, L.L., Sun, W.C.: Intelligent Location of Tropical Cyclone Center. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics. IEEE, Guangzhou (2004) (invited paper)Google Scholar
- 11.Neumann, C.J.: Global Overview, Global Guide to Tropical Cyclone Forecasting, ch. 1, WMO/TC-No, 560, Report No. TCP-31, World Meteorological Organization, Geneva (1993)Google Scholar
- 12.Atmosphere and Physical Research Institute of China Academy, China Metrological Center: Satellite Nephogram Manual. Agriculture Publication, Beijing (1975)Google Scholar