User Authentication Based on JPEG2000 Images
The problem of user authentication is particularly interesting for increasing information security on Internet based application. The more used authentication systems are based on alphanumeric passwords and their main weak point is the difficulty to remember them. The paper aims on the study of a framework for user authentication which uses JPEG2000 images as passwords. This approach is based on the human remarkable ability to remember images. The proposed image based authentication (IBA) system avoids the common hacker attacks and it is usable in heterogeneous networks, it is also cost effective, and user-friendly. The system is developed for Internet based application using personal digital assistants or personal computers and it can be easily extended to others network applications.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ebrahimi, T.: JPEG 2000 new activities and explorations. ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG1N3170 (December 2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Pering, T., Sundar, M., Light, J., Want, R.: Photographic Authentication through Untrusted Terminals. IEEE Pervasive Computing, 30–36 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Taada, T., Koike, H.: Awase-E: Image-based Authentication for Mobile Phones using User’s Favorite Images. In: Proceedings on Mobile HCI (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Jansen, W., Gavrila, S., Korolev, V., Ayers, R., Swanstrom, R.: Picture Password: A Visual Login Technique for Mobile Devices. National Institute of Standard and Technology, NISTIR7030 (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Jermyn, I., Mayer, A., Monrose, F., Reiter, M.K., Rubin, A.D.: The Design and Analysis of Graphical Passwords. In: Proceedings of the 8th USENIX Security Symposium, Washington DC (August 1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Dhamija, R., Perrig, A., Vu, D.: A User Study Using Images for Authentication. In: 9th Usenix Security Symposium, pp. 45–48 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Prandolini, R., Houchin, S., Colyer, G.: JPEG 2000 image coding system – Part 9: Interactivity tools. APIs and protocols – Final Committee Draft 2.0. ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG1N3174 (December 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Perra, C., Giusto, D.D.: A Framework For Image Based Authentication. In: International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Philadelphia, PA, USA, March 19-23 (2005)Google Scholar