Enhanced SCORM Sequencing Rule for e-Learning System
- 1.8k Downloads
The Sharable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) specification has been playing an important role in sharing and distributing contents among e-learning systems as well as in tracking the learner of the contents. Nonetheless, its limitations hinder its application to actual fieldwork particularly the inadequacy of the flexible contents structure, e-learning system performance, utilization of the necessary auxiliary resources together with the contents, support for collaborative learning, and utilization of contents linked to the external assessment system. Therefore, this study proposed the addition of "Jump Control" and expansion of "Auxiliary Resources" to the SCORM 2004 specification in order to improve the flexibility of the learning object-based e-learning contents structure and enhance e-learning system performance. A prototype was also developed to show the benefits of the improved efficiency of the manifest file describing the contents structure by adding the jump control concept. The processing of the auxiliary resource description and utilization in the standardization specification was also described.
KeywordsLearning Object Collaborative Learning Content Structure Sequencing Rule Sharable Content Object Reference Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.wiley, D.A.: Connecting learning objects to instructional design theory: a definition, a matahpor, and taxonomy (2002), http://reusability.org/read/chapters/wiley.doc
- 2.ADL : SCORM Content Aggregation Model Ver 1.3 (2004), http://www.adlnet.org
- 3.Ron Ball: Sequencing, Where Are We and Where Are We Going? (2001), http://www.adlnet.org
- 4.ADL: SCORM Sequencing and Navigation (SN) Version 1.3 (2004), http://www.adlnet.org
- 5.Carnegie Mellon University’s Learning Systems Architecture Laboratory: Simple Sequencing Services (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Carnegie Mellon University’s Learning Systems Architecture Laboratory: SCORM Best Practices Guide for Content Developers, 1st edn. (2003-2004)Google Scholar
- 7.ADL. SCORM 2004 Photoshop Examples Version 1.1 (2002), http://www.adlnet.org
- 8.Cho, E.-S., Han, T.-M., et al.: Study of the Self-Learning Contents Development Method. In: KERIS, Seoul Korea (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Choi, S.-K., Bae, W.-I., Cho, Y.-S., et al.: e-Learning Standardization Workshop Material. In: KERIS, Seoul Korea, pp. 251–367 (2005)Google Scholar