Constraint-Based Deployment of Distributed Components in a Dynamic Network
Hierarchical software components offer interesting characteristics for the development of complex applications. However, supporting the deployment of such applications is difficult, especially on challenging distributed platforms. This paper addresses the distribution and the deployment of hierarchical components on heterogeneous dynamic networks. Such networks may include fixed and mobile resource-constrained devices and are characterized by the volatility of their hosts and connections, which may lead to their fragmentation. The distribution scheme and the associated mechanisms we propose allow a component to provide its services in an ubiquitous way and to operate in a degraded mode. The deployment of hierarchical components is described: we present an ADL extension for specifying a context-aware deployment and we detail a hierarchically-controlled deployment designed for dynamic networks. This deployment is performed in a propagative way and is driven by constraints put on the resources of the target hosts.
KeywordsDynamic Network Location Constraint Composite Component Consensus Problem Target Host
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hoareau, D., Mahéo, Y.: Distribution of a Hierarchical Component in a Non-Connected Environment. In: 31th Euromicro Conference - Component-Based Software Engineering Track, Porto, Portugal. IEEE CS, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.van Ommering, R.C.: Koala, a Component Model for Consumer Electronics Product Software. In: ESPRIT ARES Workshop, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain, pp. 76–86 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Plasil, F., Balek, D., Janecek, R.: SOFA/DCUP: Architecture for Component Trading and Dynamic Updating. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Configurable Distributed Systems (ICCDS 1998), Annapolis, Maryland, US (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.xacme: Acme extensions to xarch. School of Computer Science Web Site (2001), http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/acme/pub/xAcme/
- 9.Dashofy, E.M., van der Hoek, A., Taylor, R.N.: An infrastructure for the rapid development of XML-based architecture description languages. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2002), Orlando, Florida, USA, pp. 266–276 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Dearle, A., Kirby, G.N.C., McCarthy, A.J.: A framework for constraint-based deployment and autonomic management of distributed applications. In: ICAC, pp. 300–301 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Mahéo, Y., Guidec, F., Courtrai, L.: A Java Middleware Platform for Resource-Aware Distributed Applications. In: 2nd Int. Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing (ISPDC 2003), Ljubljana, Slovenia, pp. 96–103. IEEE CS, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Li, T., Hoffmann, A., Born, M., Schieferdecker, I.: A platform architecture to support the deployment of distributed applications. In: ICC, IEEE International Conference on Communications, vol. 4, pp. 2592–2596 (2002)Google Scholar