Content Based Image and Video Retrieval Using Embedded Text
Extraction of text from image and video is an important step in building efficient indexing and retrieval systems for multimedia databases. We adopt a hybrid approach for such text extraction by exploiting a number of characteristics of text blocks in color images and video frames. Our system detects both caption text as well as scene text of different font, size, color and intensity. We have developed an application for on-line extraction and recognition of texts from videos. Such texts are used for retrieval of video clips based on any given keyword. The application is available on the web for the readers to repeat our experiments and also to try text extraction and retrieval from their own videos.
KeywordsVideo Frame Optical Character Recognition Text Region Video Retrieval Text Block
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agnihotri, L., Dimitrova, N.: Text Detection in Video Segments. In: Proc. of Workshop on Content Based Access to Image and Video Libraries, June 1999, pp. 109–113 (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Hasan, Y.M.Y., Karam, L.J.: Morphological Text Extraction from Images. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 9 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Malobabic, J., O’Connor, N., Murphy, N., Marlow, S.: Automatic Detection and Extraction of Artificial Text in Video. In: Adaptive information cluster, center for digital video processing, Dublin city university (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Nurgroho, A.S., Kuroyanagi, S., Iwata, A.: An Algorithm for Locating Characters in Color Image using Stroke Analysis Neural Network. In: Proc. of the 9th International Conference on Neural Information Processing (ICONIP 2002), November 18-22 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Shim, J.C., Dorai, C., Bolle, R.: Automatic Text Extraction from Video for Content-Based Annotation and Retrieval. In: Proc. of the 14th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Brisbane, Australia, August 1998, vol. 1, pp. 618–620 (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Zhang, D., Tseng, B.L., Lin, C.Y., Chang, S.F.: Accurate Overlay Text Extraction For Digital Video Analysis. Columbia University Advent Group Technical Report (2003)Google Scholar