A Standards-Based Approach for Supporting Dynamic Access Policies for a Federated Digital Library
With the increasing acceptability of interoperability standards like Open Archives Initiative protocol for metadata harvesting, it is becoming feasible to build federated discovery services which aggregate metadata from different digital libraries (data providers) and provide a unified search interface to users. Content-based access control is one of the primary requirements of data providers. While this concept has been predominant in the research realm, practical systems incorporating this concept are rare. In this paper, we propose a framework that supports and enforces content-based access policies using existing COTS components. We have prototyped the framework by building a system using XACML, and a XACML policy engine. The system can also be generalized to environments other than digital libraries.
Keywordsmetadata access control content management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bhoopalam, K., Maly, K., Mukkamala, R., Zubair, M.: A Flexible Framework for Content Based Access Management for Federated Digital Libraries. In: Proceedings of IADIS, Madrid, October 6-9 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Bhoopalam, K., Maly, K., Mukkamala, R., Zubair, M.: Access Management in Federated Digital Libraries. In: Proceedings of IADIS, Madrid, October 6-9 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Cantor, S., Erdos, M.: Shibboleth-Architecture DRAFT v05 (April 24, 2004), http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/docs/draft-internet2-shibboleth-arch-v05.pdf
- 5.DCMI Metadata Terms, Dublin Core Metadata Initiative, http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/
- 6.EduPerson Specification, http://www.nmi-edit.org/eduPerson/internet2-mace-dir-eduperson200312.html
- 7.Hada, S., Kudo, M.: XML Access Control Language: Provisional Authorization for XML Documents, Tokyo Research Laboratory, IBM Research ( October 16, 2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Lagoze, C.H., Sompel, V., Nelson, M., Warner, S.: The Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting, Open Archives Initiative. (October 21, 2004), http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.htm
- 10.Liu, X., Maly, K., Zubair, M., Nelson, M.: Arc – An OAI Service Provider for Cross Archiving Searching. In: Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, Roanoke, VA, June 24-28, pp. 65–66 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Moses, T. (ed.): OASIS eXtensible Access Control Management Language (XACML). Version 2.0, OASIS Standard (February 1, 2005), http://docs.oasis-open.org/xacml/2.0/access_control-xacml-2.0-core-spec-os.pdf
- 13.National Science Digital Library (November 5, 2004), http://www.nsdl.org/
- 14.Sandhu, R., et al.: Role-Based Access Control Models. IEEE Computer 29(2), 38–47 (1996)Google Scholar
- 15.Sandhu, R.: The typed access matrix model. In: Proc. of the 11th IEEE Symp. on Security and Privacy, pp. 122–136 (1992)Google Scholar