Adaptive Component Allocation in ScudWare Middleware for Ubiquitous Computing
With the increasing prevalence of ubiquitous computing, the software component allocation while meeting various resources constraints and component interdependence is crucial, which poses many kinds of challenges. This paper mainly presents an adaptive component allocation algorithm in ScudWare middleware for ubiquitous computing, which uses dynamic programming and forward checking methods. We have applied this algorithm to a mobile music space program and made many experiments to test its performance. The contribution of our work is twofold. First, our algorithm considers resources constraints requirement, component interdependence, and component tolerant issues. Second, we put forward a component interdependence graph to describe interdependent relationships between components. As a result, the evaluation of component allocations has showed our method is applicable and scalable.
KeywordsResource Consumption Ubiquitous Computing Tolerant Issue Interdependent Relationship Adaptive Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Weiser, M.: The Computer for the 21st Century. Scientific American, pp. 94–100 (1991)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, S., Merrick, J.R., Shin, K.G.: Component Allocation with Multiple Resource Constraints for Large Embedded Real-time Software Design. In: Proceedings of the 10th IEEE Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Belaramani, N.M., Wang, C.-L., Lau, F.C.M.: Dynamic Component Composition for Functionality Adaptation in Pervasive Environments. In: Proceedings of the Ninth IEEE Workshop on Future Trends of Distributed Computing Systems (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.McKinley, P.K., Sadjadi, S.M., Kasten, E.P., Cheng, B.H.C.: Comosing Adaptive Software, pp. 56–64. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Wallnau, K., Stafford, J., Hissam, S., Klein, M.: On the Relationship of Software Architecture to Software Component Technology. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Workshop on Component-Oriented Programming (2001)Google Scholar