PerfSONAR: A Service Oriented Architecture for Multi-domain Network Monitoring
In the area of network monitoring a lot of tools are already available to measure a variety of metrics. However, these tools are often limited to a single administrative domain so that no established methodology for the monitoring of network connections spanning over multiple domains currently exists. In addition, these tools only monitor the network from a technical point of view without providing meaningful network performance indicators for different user groups. These indicators should be derived from the measured basic metrics.
In this paper a Service Oriented Architecture is presented which is able to perform multi-domain measurements without being limited to specific kinds of metrics. A Service Oriented Architecture has been chosen as it allows for increased flexibility and scalability in comparison to traditional software engineering techniques. The resulting measurement framework will be applied for measurements in the European Research Network (GÉANT) and connected National Research and Education Networks in Europe as well as in the United States.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Apache Axis, http://ws.apache.org/axis
- 2.Boote, J., Boyd, E., Durand, J., Hanemann, A., Kudarimoti, L., Lapacz, R., Simar, N., Trocha, S.: Towards multi-domain monitoring for the european research networks. In: Proceedings of the Tenera Networking Conference 2005 (TNC 2005), Poznan, Poland (June 2005); TERENAGoogle Scholar
- 4.DANTE homepage including information about GÉANT, performit and GN2 projects, http://www.dante.net/
- 5.Wp7 - network services, DataGrid project, http://ccwp7.in2p3.fr
- 6.E2Epi performance evaluation system (piPEs), Internet2, End-to-End Performance Initiative, http://e2epi.internet2.edu/
- 7.Joint Research Activity 4, Enabling Grids for E-SciencE (EGEE) project, http://egee-jra4.web.cern.ch/EGEE-JRA4/
- 8.Energy Sciences Network, http://www.es.net
- 9.Globus toolkit, version 4.0, http://www.globus.org/
- 10.INTERMON project, http://www.intermon.org/
- 12.JXTA, Sun Microsystems, http://jxta.org/
- 13.MONitoring Agents using a Large Integrated Services Architecture (MonALISA), California Institute of Technology, http://monalisa.caltech.edu/
- 14.Network measurements working group (NMWG), Global Grid Forum, http://www-didc.lbl.gov/NMWG
- 15.PlanetLab project, http://www.planet-lab.org/
- 16.Round robin database tool homepage, http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/
- 17.Specification of the general architecture, protocolas, and message formats of the shibboleth mechanism, http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/docs/draft-mace-shibboleth-arch-protocols-06.pdf
- 18.Simple Object Access Protocol, World Wide Web consortium, http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group
- 19.Apache Tomcat, Apache Jakarta project, http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/
- 20.Xerces xml parser, c++ version, Apache project, http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/