On Service Discovery Process Types
With the growing adoption of service-oriented computing, locating services becomes increasingly commonplace. Accordingly, a large number of systems for service discovery have been developed. Although all these systems perform the same function, they do it in lots of different ways. Finding commonalities of and differences between these systems can be hard due to the lack of criteria to compare and classify various discovery schemes.
This paper identifies the processes of registration and look-up as a distinguishing feature of the various discovery systems. It describes the possible types of processes, shows how they are distributed across the lifecycles of the involved entities and classifies existing service discovery systems according to these criteria. Some hints are given on how the process-based view can help guide the selection of a particular discovery style for a problem at hand.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bettstetter, C., Renner, C.: A Comparison of Service Discovery Protocols and Implementation of the Service Location Protocol. In: Proceedings EUNICE Open European Summer School, Twente, Netherlands (September 2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Gray, C.G., Cheriton, D.R.: Leases: An Efficient Fault-Tolerant Mechanism for Distributed File Cache Consistency. In: Proceedings of the 12th ACM Symposium on Operating System Principles, December 1989, pp. 202–210 (1989)Google Scholar
- 5.Clark, M.: UDDI – The Weather Report (November 2001), http://www.webservicesarchitect.com/content/articles/clark04.asp
- 6.Mockapetris, P.V.: Domain Names - Concepts and Facilities. Internet RFC 1034 (November 1987)Google Scholar
- 7.OASIS Open. UDDI Version 3.0.2 (October 2004), http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/uddi-spec/doc/spec/v3/uddi-v3.0.2-20041019.htm
- 8.Ratnasamy, S., Francis, P., Handley, M., Karp, R., Schenker, S.: A Scalable Content-Addressable Network. In: Proceedings of the 2001 Conference on Applications, Technologies, Architectures, and Protocols for Computer Communications (SIGCOMM 2001), August 2001, pp. 161–172 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Sun Microsystems Inc. Jini Architecture Specification – Version 2.0 (June 2003), http://www.sun.com/software/jini/specs/jini2_0.pdf