Towards Generic Pattern Mining
Frequent Pattern Mining (FPM) is a very powerful paradigm which encompasses an entire class of data mining tasks. The specific tasks encompassed by FPM include the mining of increasingly complex and informative patterns, in complex structured and unstructured relational datasets, such as: Itemsets or co-occurrences  (transactional, unordered data), Sequences [2,8] (temporal or positional data, as in text mining, bioinformatics), Tree patterns  (XML/semistructured data), and Graph patterns [4,5,6] (complex relational data, bioinformatics). Figure  shows examples of these different types of patterns; in a generic sense a pattern denotes links/relationships between several objects of interest. The objects are denoted as nodes, and the links as edges. Patterns can have multiple labels, denoting various attributes, on both the nodes and edges.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agrawal, R., Mannila, H., Srikant, R., Toivonen, H., Inkeri Verkamo, A.: Fast discovery of association rules. In: Fayyad, U., et al. (eds.) Advances in Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 307–328. AAAI Press, Menlo Park (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Agrawal, R., Srikant, R.: Mining sequential patterns. In: 11th Intl. Conf. on Data Engg. (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Austern, M.H.: Generic Programming and the STL. Addison Wesley Longman, Inc., Amsterdam (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Inokuchi, A., Washio, T., Motoda, H.: An apriori-based algorithm for mining frequent substructures from graph data. In: 4th European Conference on Principles of Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (September 2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Kuramochi, M., Karypis, G.: Frequent subgraph discovery. In: 1st IEEE Int’l Conf. on Data Mining (November 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Yan, X., Han, J.: gspan: Graph-based substructure pattern mining. In: IEEE Int’l Conf. on Data Mining (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Zaki, M.J.: Efficiently mining frequent trees in a forest. In: 8th ACM SIGKDD Int’l Conf. Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (July 2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Zaki, M.J., Parimi, N., De, N., Gao, F., Phoophakdee, B., Urban, J., Chaoji, V., Hasan, M.A., Salem, S.: Towards generic pattern mining. In: Int’l Conf. on Formal Concept Anaysis (February 2005)Google Scholar