Efficient Control for the Distortion Incurred by Dropping DCT Coefficients in Compressed Domain
The primary goal of this paper is to facilitate the rate-distortion control in compressed domain, without introducing a full decoding and re-encoding system in pixel domain. For this aim, the error propagation behavior over several frame-sequences due to DCT coefficients-drop is investigated on the basis of statistical and empirical properties. Then, such properties are used to develop a simple estimation model for the CD distortion accounting for the characteristics of the underlying coded-frame. Experimental results show that the proposed model allows us to effectively control rate-distortions into coded-frames over different kinds of video sequences.
KeywordsEfficient Control Current Error Video Adaptation Pixel Domain Drift Error
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Eleftheriadis, A.: Dynamic Rate Shaping of Compressed Digital Video, Ph.D. dissertation, Dept. Elec. Eng., Columbia University (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Wang, Y., Kim, J.G., Chang, S.F.: Content-based Utility Function Prediction for Real-time MPEG-4 Video Transcoding. In: ICIP 2003, vol. 1, pp. 189–192 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Kim, J.G., Wang, Y., Chang, S.F.: Content-Adaptive Utility-based Video Adaptation. In: ICME 2003, Baltimore Maryland (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Eude, T. (ed.): On the Distribution of the DCT Coefficients. Proc. of ICASSP 1994, vol. 5, pp. 365–368 (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.Batra, P., Eleftheriadis, A.: Analysis of Optimal Dynamic Rate Shaping of Markov-1 Sources. In: Proc. of ICIP 2003, Barcelona, Spain (2003)Google Scholar