Motion Field Refinement and Region-Based Motion Segmentation
In this paper, we propose a method to refine a motion field from image sequences and region-based motion segmentation using the motion information. An initial motion field is generated by a block matching algorithm. We compute the motion profile at each block and define the motion confidence measure from the motion profile. In the refining process, we regulate the motion vectors with low confidence to those with high confidence. In the segmentation stage, each frame of the image sequence is partitioned into regions by a watershed algorithm and a motion vector is assigned to each region. After constructing a region adjacency graph, the graph is segmented by the normalized cuts algorithm. The experiments show that the proposed method provides satisfactory results in motion segmentation from image sequences with or without camera motion.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.MPEG-4 Video Verification Model Version 15.0, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 N3093 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Shi, J., Malik, J.: Motion segmentation and tracking using normalized cuts. In: Sixth International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 1154–1160 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Tekalp, A.M.: Digital video processing, pp. 72–116. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.De Smet, P., De Vleeschauwer, D.: Performance and Scalability of a highly optimized rainfalling watershed algorithm. In: Proc. Int. Conf. on Image Science, Systems and technology, pp. 266–273 (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Strang, G.: Introduction to Applied Mathematics. Wellesley-Cambridge Press (1986)Google Scholar