A Cross-Resolution Leaky Prediction Scheme for In-Band Wavelet Video Coding with Spatial Scalability
In in-band wavelet video coding schemes, motion prediction is applied in the spatial subband domain. Compared to motion prediction in full-resolution image domain, in-band schemes suffer coding performance loss at full resolution. One reason is that signals of the subband at low resolution are predicted from the reference frames at low resolution, which has comparatively low quality. However, if signals of the subband at high resolution are involved in the prediction of signals at low resolution, mismatch will occur in decoding low-resolution video when the corresponding signals of high resolution are not available at the decoder. This paper first analyzes the mismatch error propagation when low-resolution video is decoded. Then based on the analysis we propose a frame-based cross-resolution leaky prediction scheme for in-band wavelet video coding to make a good trade-off between reducing mismatch error of low resolution and improving coding performance of high resolution. Experimental results show that, the proposed scheme can dramatically reduce the mismatch error by about 0.3~2.5dB at different bit rates for the low resolution, while for the high resolution, the performance loss is marginal.
KeywordsMotion Compensation Scalable Video Code Full Resolution Resolution Video Mismatch Error
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chen, P., Hanke, K., Rusert, T., Woods, J.W.: Improvements to the MC-EZBC scalable video coder. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing, Barcelona, vol. 2, pp. 14–17 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Xiong, R.Q., Wu, F., Li, S.P., Xiong, Z.X., Zhang, Y.Q.: Exploiting temporal correlation with adaptive block-size motion alignment for 3D wavelet coding. In: Proc. SPIE Visual Communications and Image Processing, San Jose, CA, pp. 144–155 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Mehrseresht, N., Taubman, D.: An efficient content-adaptive MC 3D-DWT with enhanced spatial and temporal scalability. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Singapore, October, pp. 1329–1332 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.van der Schaar, M., Ye, J.C.: Adaptive Overcomplete Wavelet Video Coding with Spatial Transcaling. In: Proc. SPIE Video Communications and Image Processing (VCIP), Lugano, Switzerland, pp. 489–500 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Taubman, D., Mehrseresht, N., Leung, R.: SVC Technical Contribution: Overview of recent technology developments at UNSW. Int. Standards Org./Int.Electrotech. Comm(ISO/IEC) ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 Document M10868 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Han, S., Girod, B.: Robust and Efficient Scalable Video Coding with Leaky Prediction. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Rochester NY, pp. 41–44 (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Liu, Y.X., Li, Z., Salama, P., Delp, E.J.: A discussion of leaky prediction based scalable coding. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, vol. 2, pp. 565–568 (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Gao, Y.L., Chau, L.P.: An efficient fine granularity scalable coding scheme using adaptive leaky prediction. In: Proc. Joint Conference of the Fourth International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing and the Fourth Pacific Rim Conference on Multimedia, vol. 1, pp. 582–586 (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Xiong, R.Q., Ji, X.Y., Zhang, D.D., Xu, J.Z., Pau, G., Trocan, M., Bottreau, V.: Vidwav Wavelet Video Coding Specifications. Int. Standards Org./Int.Electrotech. Comm(ISO/IEC) ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 Document M12339 (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Bottreau, V., Pau, G., Xu, J.Z.: Vidwav evaluation software manual, Int. Standards Org./Int.Electrotech. Comm(ISO/IEC) ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 Document M12176 (2005)Google Scholar