Transitions of Multi-scale Singularity Trees
Multi-Scale Singularity Trees(MSSTs)  are multi-scale image descriptors aimed at representing the deep structures of images. Changes in images are directly translated to changes in the deep structures; therefore transitions in MSSTs. Because MSSTs can be used to represent the deep structure of images efficiently, it is important to investigate and understand their transitions and impacts. We present four kinds of MSST transitions and discuss the potential advantages of Saddle-Based MSSTs over Extrema-Based MSSTs. The study of MSST transitions presented in this paper is an important step towards the development of the image matching and indexing algorithms based on MSSTs.
KeywordsCritical Path Deep Structure Image Segment Saddle Path Extremal Path
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bille, P.: Report on Known Algorithm for Tree Matching. Technical report, Deliverable No.5, DSSCV, IST-2001-35443 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Damon, J.: Local Morse Theory for Gaussian Blurred Functions. In: Sporring, et al. (eds.) , ch.11, pp. 147–163Google Scholar
- 3.Iijima, T.: Basic theory on normalization of a pattern (in case of typical one-dimensional pattern). Bulletin of Electrotechnical Laboratory 26, 368–388 (1962) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 5.Kuijper, A., Olsen, O.F.: Transitions of the Pre-Symmetry Set. In: Proceedings of the 17th Intl Conference on Pattern Recognition, ICPR 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Lindeberg, T.: Scale-Space Theory in Computer Vision. The Kluwer International Series in Engineering and Computer Science. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston (1994)Google Scholar
- 9.Somchaipeng, K., Erleben, K., Sporring, J.: A Multi-Scale Singularity Bounding Volume Hierarchy. In: Proceedings of the 13th Intl Conference in Central Europe (WSCG 2005), January 2005, pp. 179–186 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Weickert, J., Ishikawa, S., Imiya, A.: Om the History of Gaussian Scale-Space Axiomatics. In: Sporring, et al. (eds.) , ch. 4, pp. 45–59.Google Scholar
- 13.Witkin, A.P.: Scale–space filtering. In: Proc. 8th Int. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 1983), Karlsruhe, Germany, August 1983, vol. 2, pp. 1019–1022 (1983)Google Scholar