Towards QoS-Awareness of Context-Aware Mobile Applications and Services
- 170 Downloads
In our current connected wireless world, mobile devices are enabled to use various networking facilities. Although this enables mobile users to communicate any time and any place, it may also be very intrusive. There is a high need to manage the information stream a user receives on his/her mobile device. Context-awareness seems to be a promising way to manage this information stream and to provide the means to communicate at the right time in the right way.
Current context-aware applications benefit from the user context (e.g. location information), however, they do not consider the quality of service (QoS) offered by various networks (i.e. only best-effort QoS is considered). The research discussed in this paper focuses on a QoS- and context-aware service infrastructure supporting the development of mobile applications in a heterogeneous network environment. We argue that the use of context information helps to better capture the user’s required QoS and improves the delivered QoS.
KeywordsMobile User Mobile Service Body Area Network Service Infrastructure Research Trajectory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dey, D.: Providing Architectural Support for Context-Aware applications. PhD thesis, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.ITU-T Recommendation I.350, General aspects of Quality of Service and Network Performance in Digital Networks, including ISDNs (March 1993) Google Scholar
- 3.Equanet project website, http://equanet.cs.utwente.nl
- 4.CELLO project website, http://www.telecom.ntua.gr/cello
- 7.Sun, J.Z., Sauvola, J., Riekki, J.: Application of Connectivity Information for Context Interpretation and Derivation. In: 8th International Conference on Telecommunications (ConTEL 2005), Zagreb, Croatia (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Wegdam, M.: AWARENESS: A project on Context AWARE mobile NEtworks and ServiceS. In: 14th Mobile & Wireless Communication Summit 2005, Germany (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Jacobson, I., Booch, G., Rumbaugh, J.: The Unified Software Development Process. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Chalmers, D., Sloman, M.: A Survey of Quality of Service in Mobile Computing Environments. IEEE Communications Surveys 2(2) (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Wac, K., Bults, R., et al.: Measurements-based performance evaluation of 3G wireless networks supporting m-health services. In: Multimedia Computing and Networking 2005, Electronic Imaging Symposium, CA USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Bults, R., Wac, K., et al.: Goodput analysis of 3G wireless networks supporting m-health services. In: 8th International Conference on Telecommunications (ConTEL 2005), Zagreb, Croatia (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Wac, K., van Halteren, A., Broens, T.: Context-aware QoS provisioning in m-health service platform. In: 11th Open European Summer School (EUNICE 2005), Colmenarejo, Spain (2005)Google Scholar