Multi-agent System Technology for P2P Applications on Small Portable Devices
In this paper we discuss architectural design issues and trade-offs in connection with our experiences porting our agent-based platform, Opal, to the Sharp Zaurus personal digital assistant (PDA). At the present time, the Zaurus is able to run the Java-based Opal platform with RMI, HTTP and JXTA (but not JXME) as message transports. There were many adjustments that had to be made in order to establish JXTA functionality over Java Personal Profile on the Zaurus systems, but it may be an easier process in the future if some of these changes are incorporated into the JXTA standard. The wireless and Bluetooth capability of the Zaurus make it ideal for bridging the gap between Bluetooth networks and traditional networks. The extension of mobility to distributed Agent-based systems will be a significant growth area in future agent research, and the Zaurus PDA a glimpse into the future functionality that mobile distributed agent applications may provide. We also discuss how Opal’s unique support for micro agents may facilitate the deployment of advanced agent systems on future medium- and small-footprint devices.
KeywordsMAS technology portable devices JXTA P2P
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jennings, N.R.: Agent-oriented software engineering. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Industrial and Engineering Applications of AI (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Purvis, M., Cranefield, S., Nowostawski, M., Carter, D.: Opal: A Multi-Level Infrastructure for Agent-Oriented Software Development. Technical Report 2002/01, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand (2002) ISSN 1172-6024Google Scholar
- 3.Foundation For Intelligent Physical Agents (FIPA): Fipa 2001 specifications (2003), http://www.fipa.org/specifications/
- 4.Purvis, M., Nowostawski, M., Cranefield, S., Oliveira, M.: Multi-Agent Interaction Technology for Peer-to-Peer Computing in Electronic Trading Environments. In: Moro, G., Sartori, C., Singh, M. (eds.) Second International Workshop on Agents and Peer-to-Peer Computing, Second International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2003), Melbourne, Australia, pp. 103–114 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Project JXTA: Jxta specifications (2003), http://www.jxta.org
- 7.Cranefield, S., Purvis, M.: A UML Profile and Mapping for the Generation of Ontology-specific Content Languages. Knowledge Engineering Review, Special Issue on Ontologies in Agent Systems, 21–39 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.http://www.bluetooth.com/ (2004)
- 10.http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/02/13/HNmotolinux 1.html/ (2003)
- 11.Nowostawski, M.: Jfern, version 1.2.1 (2002), http://sf.net/projects/jfern