Real-Time Facial Expression Recognition System Based on HMM and Feature Point Localization
It is difficult for computer to recognize facial expression in real-time. Until now, no good method is put forward to solve this problem in and abroad. In this paper, we present an effective automated system that we developed to recognize facial gestures in real-time. According to psychologists’ facial expression classification, we define four basic facial expressions and localize key facial feature points exactly then extract facial components’ contours. We analyze and record facial components’ movements using information in sequential frames to recognize facial gestures. Since different facial expressions can have some same movements, it is necessary to use a good facial expression model to describe the relation between expression states and observed states of facial components’ movements for achieving a good recognition results. HMM is such a good method which can meet our requirement. We present a facial expression model based on HMM and get good real-time recognition results.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wang, Z., Xie, L.: Artificial Psychology—an Attainable Scientific Research on the Human Brain. In: IPMM 1999 (KEYNOTE PAPER), Honolulu, USA, July 10-15 (1999) (ISTP) Google Scholar
- 2.Ekman, P., Friesen, W.V.: Facial Action Coding System. Consulting Psychologists Press, California (1978)Google Scholar
- 3.Jinmin, L.: Psychology, p. 109. Press of Chinese three gorge, Beijing (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Pantic, M., Rothkrantz, L.J.M.: Facial Action Recognition for Facial Expression, Analysis From Static Face Images. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics—Part B: Cybernetics 34(3) (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Huynh-Thu, Q., Meguro, M., Kaneko, M.: Skin-Color Extraction in Images with Complex Background and Varying Illumination. In: Proceedings of the Sixth IEEE Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision, WACV 2002 (2002)Google Scholar