Automatic Extraction of Femur Contours from Hip X-Ray Images
Extraction of bone contours from x-ray images is an important first step in computer analysis of medical images. It is more complex than the segmentation of CT and MR images because the regions delineated by bone contours are highly nonuniform in intensity and texture. Classical segmentation algorithms based on homogeneity criteria are not applicable. This paper presents a model-based approach for automatically extracting femur contours from hip x-ray images. The method works by first detecting prominent features, followed by registration of the model to the x-ray image according to these features. Then the model is refined using active contour algorithm to get the accurate result. Experiments show that this method can extract the contours of femurs with regular shapes, despite variations in size, shape and orientation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chen, Y., Yap, W.H., Leow, W.K., Howe, T.S., Png, M.A.: Detecting femur fractures by texture analysis of trabeculae. In: Proc. ICPR 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Lim, S.E., Xing, Y., Chen, Y., Leow, W.K., Howe, T.S., Png, M.A.: Detection of femur and radius fractures in x-ray images. In: Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Advances in Medical Signal and Information Processing (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Lum, V.L.F., Leow, W.K., Chen, Y., Howe, T.S., Png, M.A.: Combining classifiers for bone fracture detection in x-ray images. In: Proc. ICIP (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Lin, P., Zhang, F., Yang, Y., Zheng, C.: Carpal-bone feature extraction analysis in skeletal age assessment based on deformable model. J. of Computer Science and Technology (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Shen, D., Herskovits, E.H., Davatzikos, C.: An adaptive-focus statistical shape model for segmentation and shape modeling of 3-D brain structures. IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging 20 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Xu, C., Prince, J.L.: Gradient vector flow: A new external force for snakes. In: Proc. IEEE Conf. on CVPR 1997 (1997)Google Scholar
- 14.Foulonneau, A., Charbonnier, P., Heitz, F.: Geometric shape priors for region-based active contours. In: Proc. ICIP 2003 (2003)Google Scholar