Design and Implementation of an Open IMS Core
Mobile network operators in Europe mostly have rolled out 3G networks and are now looking into the deployment of the IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) which provides an overlay architecture for IP based core networks. The IMS offers a standardized way to develop new and appealing applications and may serve as a blueprint for convergent Next Generation Networks. As with the introduction of any new technology, there comes the need to measure its performance and capabilities.
The Open IMS Core project introduced in this paper offers the core network functionality of an IMS for testing the performance of the central IMS network entities, the IMS Call Session Control Functions. The project’s target was to build an implementation based upon open source tools that is fully conformant to existing IMS standards which may be re-used in other IMS related projects. In its setup the Open IMS Core resembles future IMS networks at the needed detail level and allowed to produce first IMS performance results.
KeywordsIMS NGN CSCF SIP Performance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rosenberg, J., Schulzrinne, H., et al.: SIP: Session Initiation Protocol, RFC 3261 (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Calhoun, P., Loughney, J., et al.: Diameter Base Protocol, RFC 3588 (September 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Groves, C., Pantaleo, M., et al.: Gateway Control Protocol Version 1, RFC 3525 (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 4.The FOKUS IMS playground, http://www.fokus.fraunhofer.de/ims
- 5.3GPP TS 23.228 - 3rd Generation Partnership Project; Technical Specification Group Services and System Aspects; IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS); Stage 2 (Release 6)Google Scholar
- 6.3GPP TS 29.228 - 3rd Generation Partnership Project; Technical Specification Group Core Network; IP Multimedia (IM) Subsystem Cx and Dx interfaces; Signaling flows and message contents (Release 6)Google Scholar
- 7.3GPP TS 33.203 - 3rd Generation Partnership Project; Technical Specification Group Services and System Aspects; 3G security; Access security for IP-based services (Release 6)Google Scholar
- 8.Niemi, A., Arkko, J., Torvinen, V.: Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Digest Authentication Using Authentication and Key Agreement (AKA), RFC 3310 (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.3GPP TS 24.228 - 3rd Generation Partnership Project; Technical Specification Group Core Network; Signaling flows for the IP multimedia call control based on Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and Session Description Protocol (SDP); Stage 3 (Release 5)Google Scholar
- 10.3GPP TS 24.229 - 3rd Generation Partnership Project; Technical Specification Group Core Network; IP Multimedia Call Control Protocol based on Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and Session Description Protocol (SDP); Stage3 (Release6)Google Scholar
- 11.The SIP Express Router, http://www.iptel.org/ser
- 12.Wirlab Network Research Center; KPhone, http://www.wirlab.net/kphone/
- 13.Testing Technologies, http://www.testingtech.de/