Adaptive Content for the Mobile User: A Policy-Based Approach
Service adaptation is fundamental to context-aware service provisioning and to the realization of the Virtual Home Environment concept, which is now an integral part of the 3G service framework. Although the technological means for developing advanced, adaptable services are maturing, managing adaptation is still an ambitious task. In this paper, we tackle the issues of automating and managing adaptable web content for mobile users and illustrate the potential of policy-based service management. We present a novel policy-based framework, its experimental evaluation and discuss considerations on the applicability of state-of-the-art, XML-related technologies for the development of adaptable content and services for mobile users. We finally assess the overheads arising from the adaptation process and explore possible trade-offs.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.3rd Generation Partnership Project Technical Specification TS 23.127, Virtual Home Environment (VHE) / Open Service Access (OSA); Stage 2Google Scholar
- 3.Klyne, G., et al. (eds.): Composite Capabilities/Preference Profiles (CC/PP): Structure and Vocabularies 1.0, W3C Recommendation dated 15, available at (January 2004), http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-CCPP-struct-vocab-20040115/
- 4.Tran, L., Butler, M. (eds.): Composite Capabilities/Preference Profile (CC/PP) processing specification, version 1.0 dated 11, Sun Microsystems Java Specification Request 188 (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Open Mobile Alliance: User Agent Profile 1.1, Candidate Version dated 12 (December 2002) OMA-WAP-UAProf-v1_1-20021212-cGoogle Scholar
- 6.Butler, M.: Using capability classes to classify and match CC/PP and UAProf profiles. HP Labs Technical Report HPL-2002-89 dated18 Feb (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Westerinen, A., et al.: Terminology for policy-based management, IETF RFC 3198 (November 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Moore, A. (ed.): Policy Core Information Model (PCIM) extensions, IETF RFC 3460 (January 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.3rd Generation Partnership Project Technical Specification TS 29.198-13, Open Service Access (OSA); Application Programming Interface (API); Part 13: Policy management (Release 6)Google Scholar
- 10.w3development website, http://w3development.de/rdf/uaprof_repository/