Web Agent Supporting Transport Layer Mobility
Typical transmission control protocol (TCP) based web agents in mobile wireless environment have several deficiencies, such as performance degradation, head-of-line blocking, and unsupported mobility. The Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) is a new transport protocol, which provides multi-streaming and multi-homing features. SCTP extensions for dynamic address reconfiguration will support transport layer mobility. We address SCTP based web agents supporting seamless transport layer mobility in the wired and wireless environment. Our proposed SCTP based mobile web agent is composed of application engine to use the hypertext transfer protocol (HTTP) and protocol engine to deploy SCTP with dynamic address reconfiguration. We have investigated and described the components necessary to implement mobile web agents in a ubiquitous environment. Mean response time is an important performance measure of web agents. Simulation results show that our SCTP based web agent reduces the mean response time of a typical TCP based web agent by 12 % on the average.
KeywordsMobile Node Packet Loss Rate Round Trip Time Access Router Correspondent Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bai, H., Fu, S., Atiquzzaman, M.: Transport Layer Design in Mobile Wireless Network. In: Design and Analysis of Wireless Networks. Nova Science Publishers, Bombay (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Jamalipour, A.: The Wireless Mobile Internet, pp. 368–384. John Wiely & Sons Ltd., West Sussex (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Caro, A., Iyengar, J., Amer, P., Ladha, S., Heinz, G., Shah, K.: SCTP: A Proposed Standard for Robust Internet Data Transport. IEEE Computer, 20–27 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Fu, S., Atiquzzaman, M.: SCTP: State of the Art in Research, Products, and Challenges. IEEE Communication Magazine, 64–76 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Alamgir, M., Atiquzzaman, M., Ivancic, W.: Effect of Congestion Control on the Performance of TCP and SCTP over Satellite Network. In: NASA Earth Science Technology (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Al, A., Saadawi, T., Lee, M.: Improving Throughput and Reliability in Mobile Wireless Networks via Transport Layer Bandwidth Aggregation. Computer Networks 46, 635–649 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Stewart, R., et al.: Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Dynamic Address Reconfiguration. IETF Internet draft, draft-ietf-tsvwg-addip-sctp-06.txt (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Fu, S., Ma, L., Atiquzzaman, M., Lee, Y.-J.: Architecture and Performance of SIGMA: A Seamless Mobility Architecture for Data Networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Communi- cations (ICC), Seoul, Korea, May 16-20 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Linux kernel stream control transmission protocol (lksctp), http://lksctp.sourceforge.net/
- 12.NIST NET Emulator, http://snad.ncsl.nist.gov/nistnet/
- 13.Etherreal Protocol Analyzer, http://www.ethereal.com/