Analytical Models of Probability Distributions for MPI Point-to-Point Communication Times on Distributed Memory Parallel Computers
Measurement and modelling of distributions of data communication times is commonly done for telecommunication networks, but this has not previously been done for message passing communications on parallel computers. We have used the MPIBench program to measure distributions of point-to-point MPI communication times for two different parallel computers, with a low-end Ethernet network and a high-end Quadrics network respectively. Here we present and discuss the results of efforts to fit the measured distributions with standard probability distribution functions such as exponential, lognormal, Erlang, gamma, Pearson 5 and Weibull distributions.
KeywordsWeibull Distribution Parallel Computer Parallel Program Interarrival Time Communication Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Grove, D.A.: Precise MPI performance measurement using MPIBench. In: Proc. of HPC Asia (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Grove, D.A.: Performance Modelling of Message-Passing Parallel Programs. PhD thesis, University of Adelaide (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Park, K., Willinger, W. (eds.): Self-Similar Network Traffic and Performance Evaluation. Wiley, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Zwart, A.P.: Queueing Systems with Heavy Tails. PhD thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Law, A.M., Kelton, W.D.: Simulation Modeling & Analysis. McGraw-Hill, New York (1991)Google Scholar
- 11.Greer Mountain Software (Stat:Fit software, version 1.1), Available from http://www.geerms.com/
- 12.Dodson, B.: Weibull Analysis with Software. ASQ Quality Press, Milwaukee (1995)Google Scholar