A Semi-automatic Ontology Acquisition Method for the Semantic Web
The success of the Semantic Web strongly depends on the proliferation of ontologies, which requires fast and easy engineering of ontologies. The paper analyzes the semantic similarity between relational model and ontology, and proposes a semi-automatic ontology acquisition method(SOAM) based on data in relational database. SOAM tries to ensure the quality of constructed ontology and the automatic degree of acquiring process by balancing the cooperation between user contributions and machine learning. Because OWL is the latest ontology language standard recommended by W3C, the implementation of SOAM is given to acquire OWL ontology automatically as much as possible. Different from existing methods, the implementation method not only can acquire OWL ontology from relational database directly without demanding a middle model, but also can refine obtained ontology according to existing lexical knowledge repositories semi-automatically.
KeywordsRelational Database Relational Model Semantic Similarity Object Property Database Schema
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berners-Lee, T., Hendler, J., Lassila, O.: The Semantic Web. Scientific American feature article (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.OWL, Web Ontology Language, OWL (2004), http://www.w3.org/2004/OWL/
- 3.Codd, E.F.: A relational model of data for large shared data banks. CACM 13(6) (1970)Google Scholar
- 5.Ramanathan, S., Hodges, J.: Reverse engineering relational schemas to Object-Oriented schemas. Technical Report No. MSU-960701. Mississippi State University (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Levenshtein, I.V.: Binary codes capable of correcting deletions, insertions, and reversals. Cybernetics and Control Theory 10(8), 707–710Google Scholar
- 10.Biskup, J.: Achievements of relational database schema design theory revisited. Semantics in Database. Springer, Heidelberg (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Vermeer, M., Apers, P.: Object-oriented views of relational databases incorporating behaviour. In: Proc. of DASFAA (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Kashyap, V.: Design and creation of ontologies for environmental information retrieval. In: Proc. of the 12th Workshop on Knowledge Acquisition, Modeling and Management (1999)Google Scholar
- 14.Rubin, D.L., Hewett, M., Oliver, D.E., Klein, T.E., Altman, R.B.: Automatic data acquisition into ontologies from pharmacogenetics relational data sources using declarative object definitions and XML. In: Proc. of the Pacific Symposium on Biology (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Stojanovic, L., Stojanovic, N., Volz, R.: Migrating data-intensive Web Sites into the Semantic Web. In: Proc. of the 17th ACM symposium on applied computing (2002)Google Scholar