Deciding Stability in Packet-Switched FIFO Networks Under the Adversarial Queuing Model in Polynomial Time,
In spite of the importance of the fifo protocol and the research efforts invested in obtaining results for it, deciding whether a given (packet-switched) network is stable under fifo has remained an open question for several years. In this work, we address the general case of this problem and try to characterize the property of stability under fifo in terms of network topologies. Such a characterization provides us with the family of network topologies that, under the fifo protocol, can be made unstable by some adversarial traffic pattern. We show that the property of stability under fifo is decidable in polynomial time.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Blesa, M.J.: Deciding Stability under FIFO in the Adversarial Queuing model in polynomial time. Research Report LSI-05-3-R, Dept. Llenguatges i Sistemes Informátics, UPC (2005), www.lsi.upc.edu/dept/techreps/techreps.html
- 8.Díaz, J., Koukopoulos, D., Nikoletseas, S., Serna, M., Spirakis, P., Thilikós, D.: Stability and non-Stability of the FIFO Protocol. In: 13th annual ACM Symposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures (SPAA 2001), pp. 48–52 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Hamdi, M.: LCFS queuing for real-time audio-visual services in packet networks. In: IEEE International Workshop on Audio-Visual Services over Packet Networks (AVSPN 1997) (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Hamdi, M., Noro, R., Hubaux, J.-P.: Fresh Packet First scheduling for voice traffic in congested networks. Technical Report SSC034, Computer Science Department, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, EPFL (1997)Google Scholar
- 14.Hamdi, M.: Fresh Packet First scheduling for interactive services in the Internet. In: 4th International Conference on Information Systems Analysis and Synthesis (ISAS 1998) (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Koukopoulos, D., Mavronicolas, M., Spirakis, P.: FIFO is unstable at arbitrarily low rates (even in planar networks). Electronic Colloquium on Computational Complexity 10(16) (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Koukopoulos, D., Nikoletseas, S., Spirakis, P.: The range of stability for heterogeneous and FIFO queueing networks. Electronic Colloquium on Computational Complexity,TR01-099 (2001)Google Scholar