Conservation vs. Consensus in Peer-to-Peer Preservation Systems
The problem of digital preservation is widely acknowledged, but the underlying assumptions implicit to the design of systems that address this problem have not been analyzed explicitly. We identify two basic approaches to address the problem of digital preservation using peer-to-peer systems: conservation and consensus. We highlight the design tradeoffs involved in using the two general approaches, and we provide a framework for analyzing the characteristics of peer-to-peer preservation systems in general. In addition, we propose a novel conservation-based protocol for achieving preservation and we analyze its effectiveness with respect to our framework.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ARL – Association of Research Libraries. ARL Statistics 2000-01 (2001), http://www.arl.org/stats/arlstat/01pub/intro.html
- 2.Burkard, T.: Herodotus: A Peer-to-Peer Web Archival System, Master’s thesis, MIT (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Cooper, B.F., Garcia-Molina, H.: Peer-to-peer data preservation through storage auctions. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (to appear)Google Scholar
- 4.Cox, L.P., Noble, B.D.: Samsara: Honor Among Thieves in Peer-to-Peer Storage. In: Proceedings of the Nineteenth ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, Bolton Landing, NY, USA, October 2003, pp. 120–132 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.HiveCache, Inc. Distributed disk-based backups, Available at http://www.hivecache.com/
- 7.Maniatis, P., Roussopoulos, M., Giuli, T.J., Rosenthal, D.S.H., Baker, M., Muliadi, Y.: Preserving Peer Replicas By Rate-Limited Sampled Voting. In: SOSP (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Parno, B., Roussopoulos, M.: Predicting Adversary Infiltration in the LOCKSS System. Technical Report TR-28-04, Harvard University (October 2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Rosenthal, D.S.H., Roussopoulos, M., Maniatis, P., Baker, M.: Economic Measures to Resist Attacks on a Peer-to-Peer Network. In: Workshop on Economics of Peer-to-Peer Systems, Berkeley, CA, USA (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Wallach, D.: A Survey of Peer-to-Peer Security Issues. In: Intl. Symp. on Software Security (2002)Google Scholar