A Fast Method to Detect and Recognize Scaled and Skewed Road Signs
A fast method to detect and recognize scaled and skewed road signs is proposed in this paper. The input color image is first quantized in HSV color model. Border tracing those regions with the same colors as road signs is adopted to find the regions of interest (ROI). Verification is then performed to find those ROIs satisfying specific constraints as road sign candidates. The candidate regions are extracted and normalization is automatically calculated to handle scaled and skewed road signs. Finally, matching based on distance maps is adopted to measure the similarity between the scene and model road signs to accomplish recognition. Experimental results show that the proposed method is effective and efficient, even for scaled and skewed road signs in complicated scenes. On the average, it takes 4–50 and 11 ms for detection and recognition, respectively. Thus, the proposed method is adapted to be implemented in real time.
KeywordsBinary Image Recognition Accuracy Scene Image Road Sign Color Quantization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Lauzière, Y.B., Gingras, D., Ferrie, F.P.: A model-based road sign identification system. In: IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 1163–1170 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Miura, J., Kanda, T., Shirai, Y.: An active vision system for real-time traffic sign recognition. In: IEEE Conf. Intelligent Transportation Systems, pp. 52–57 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Ohara, H., Nishikawa, I., Miki, S., Yabuki, N.: Detection and recognition of road signs using simple layered neural networks. In: IEEE Int. Conf. Neural Information Processing, pp. 626–630 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Shadeed, W.G., Abu-Al-Nadi, D.I., Mismar, M.J.: Road traffic sign detection in color images. In: IEEE Int. Conf. Electronics, Circuits and Systems, pp. 890–893 (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Vitabile, S., Pollaccia, G., Pilato, G., Sorbello, F.: Road signs recognition using a dynamic pixel aggregation technique in the HSV color space. In: IEEE Int. Conf. Image Analysis and Processing, pp. 572–577 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Vitabile, S., Gentile, A., Sorbello, F.: A neural network based automatic road signs recognizer. In: IEEE Int. Conf. Neural Networks, pp. 2315–2320 (2002)Google Scholar