Distributed Systems to Support Efficient Adaptation for Ubiquitous Web
The introduction of the Ubiquitous Web requires many adaptation and personalization services to tailor Web content to different client devices and user preferences. Such services are computationally expensive and should be deployed on distributed infrastructures. Multiple topologies are available for this purpose: highly replicated topologies mainly address performance of content adaptation and delivery, while more centralized approaches are suitable for addressing security and consistency issues related to the management of user profiles used for the adaptation process.
In this paper we consider a two-level hybrid topology that can address the trade-off between performance and security/consistency concerns We propose two distributed architectures based on the two-level topology, namely core-oriented and edge-oriented. We discuss how these architectures address data consistency and security and we evaluate their performance for different adaptation services and network conditons.
KeywordsInternal Node User Preference Content Adaptation Edge Node Network Edge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cardellini, V., Colajanni, M., Lancellotti, R., Yu, P.S.: A distributed architecture of edge proxy servers for cooperative transcoding. In: Proc. of 3rd IEEE Workshop on Internet Apps (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Gray, J., Helland, P., O’Neil, P.E., Shasha, D.: The dangers of replication and a solution. In: Proc. of the 1996 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (June 1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Rabinovich, M., Xiao, Z., Aggarwal, A.: Computing on the edge: A platform for replicating internet applications. In: Proc. of 8th Int’l Workshop on Web Content and Distribution, Hawthorne, NY (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Gao, L., Dahlin, M., Nayate, A., Zheng, J., Iyengar, A.: Application specific data replication for edge services. In: Proc. of 12th WWW Conference, Budapest, HU (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Colajanni, M., Lancellotti, R.: System architectures for web content adaptation services. In: IEEE Distributed Systems online (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Barra, M., Grieco, R., Malandrino, D., Negro, A., Scarano, V.: Texttospeech: a heavy-weight edge service. In: Poster Proc. of 12th WWW Conference, Budapest, HU (2003)Google Scholar