A Novel Resource Dissemination and Discovery Model for Pervasive Environments Using Mobile Agents
Pervasive computing has been the new buzz word in the distributed computing field. Vast range of heterogeneous resources including different devices, computational resources and services world wide are virtually summoned under agreed conditions to form a single computational system image .In this approach a central controller is needed to coordinate the resources which is called the resource management system (RMS).A typical RMS is responsible for three main jobs including matching, scheduling and executing received requests based on suitable and available resources. Regarding the matching module, resource dissemination and discovery forms the main part. In this article we introduce two new approaches to tackle this problem using the mobile agents. The different strategies are dividend into hierarchical and non-hierarchical models. The performed simulations show a better performance for the hierarchical approach compared with the other model.
KeywordsPervasive Environments Resource Discovery Resource Dissemination Virtual Organization Mobile Agents
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kong, Q., Berry, A.: A General Resource Discovery System for Open Distributed Processing. In: ICODP 1995 (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Foster, I., Kesselman, C.: The Grid: Blueprint for a New Computing Infrastructure, 2nd edn. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Krauter, K., Buyya, R., Maheswaran, M.: A Taxonomy and Survey of Grid Resource Management Systems, Technical Report: University of Manitoba (TR-2000/18) and Monash University (TR-2000/80)Google Scholar
- 4.Czerwinski, S., Zhao, B., Hodes, T., Joseph, A., Katz, R.: An architecture for a secure service discovery service. In: Fifth Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networks, MobiCom 1999 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Foster, I., Kesselman, C., Tuecke, S.: The Anatomy of the Grid Enabling Scalable Virtual Organizations. Intl J. Supercomputer Applications (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Rakotonirainy, A., Groves, G.: Resource Discovery for Pervasive Environments. In: 4th International Symposium on Distributed Objects and Applications, DOA 2002 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.McGrath, R.: Discovery and Its Discontents: Discovery Protocols for Ubiquitous computing. Technical Report UIUCDCS-R-99-2132 (2000)Google Scholar