Calculation of Single-File Diffusion Using Grid-Enabled Parallel Generic Cellular Automata Simulation
Parallel execution of simulation runs has become indispensable in different research areas recently. One of the most promising and powerful models in science are cellular automata (CA). This paper describes the approach to migrate parallel execution of a cellular automata simulation program called ParCASim via grid-capable message passing from cluster to grid environments. The applicability of the program is demonstrated for the calculation of sophisticated single-file diffusion problems and exploits the improved compute power of the underlying grid in order to deliver results faster and more precise than on classic cluster architecture. In this paper, we discuss ParCASim as a tool, and the utilised cluster-to-cluster interconnection is outlined. Furthermore, the paper describes single-file diffusion and how it is calculated via the CA model. Finally, time and efficiency measurements are taken which show the applicability of the approach.
KeywordsCellular Automaton Cellular Automaton Parallel Execution Grid Environment Master Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aumage, O.: Heterogeneous multi-cluster networking with the Madeleine III communication library. In: Proceedings of 16th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2002), Washington, Brussels, Tokyo, p. 85 (2002)Google Scholar
- Bar, M., Maya, Anu, Asmita, Snehal, Krushna (MAASK): Introduction to openMosix, Linux Congress (2003)Google Scholar
- George, W.L., Hagedorn, J.G., Devaney, J.E.: IMPI: Making MPI Interoperable and complete IMPI specification. Journal of Research of the National Institute of Standards and Technology 105 (2000)Google Scholar
- Ilachinski, A.: Cellular Automata: a discrete universe. World Scientific, Singapore (2002)Google Scholar
- Michalakes, J., Loft, R., Bourgeois, A.: Performance-Portability and the Weather Research and Forecast Model, HPC Asia (2001)Google Scholar
- Keller, R.: PACX documentation, HLRS Stuttgart, Germany (2003)Google Scholar
- Squyres, J.M., Lumsdaine, A., George, W.L., Hagedorn, J.G., Devaney, J.E.: The Interoperable Message Passing Interface (IMPI) Extensions to LAM/MPI. In: Proceedings of MPI Developer’s Conference (MPIDC) 2000, Cornell University, NY (2000)Google Scholar
- Sterling, T.L.: How to build a Beowulf: a guide to the implementation and application of PC cluster. MIT Press, Cambridge (1999)Google Scholar
- Wolfram, S.: A new kind of science, Champaign, Ill, Wolfram Media (2002)Google Scholar
- Wolfram, S.: Cellular automata and complexity: collected papers, Boulder, Co. Westview-Press (2002)Google Scholar