The Optimal Wire Order for Low Power CMOS
If adjacent wires are brought into a simple specific order of their switching activities, the effect of power optimal wire spacing can be increased. In this paper we will present this order along with a prove of this observation. For this purpose, it is shown how to derive the new power optimal wire positions by solving a geometric program. Due to their simplicity in implementation, both principles reported substantially differ from previous approaches. We also quantify the power optimization potential for wires based on a representative circuit model, with promising results.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Boyd, S., Kim, S.J., Mohan, S.S.: Geometric Programming and its Applications to EDA Problems. Date 05 Tutorial Notes (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Embacher, W.: Analysis of Automated Power Saving Techniques using Power Compiler (TM). LIS Diploma Thesis, TU München, Germany (May 2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Computational Optimization Laboratory. A geometric programming solver, COPL GP (2000), Internet: http://www.stanford.edu/~yyye/Col.html
- 7.Macii, E., Poncino, M., Salerno, S.: Combining wire swapping and spacing for low-power deep-submicron buses. In: Proceedings of the 13th ACM Great Lakes symposium on VLSI, pp. 198–202 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Moiseev, K.: Net-Ordering for Optimal Circuit Timing in Nanometer Interconnect Design. CCIT Report #506, Haifa, Israel (October 2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Nabors, K.: FastCap. MIT, 1992 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Rockafellar, R.: Constrained Global Optimization: Algorithms and Applications. Springer, Heidelberg (1987)Google Scholar
- 11.SIA. International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors (2005), Internet: http://public.itrs.net
- 13.Zuber, P., Müller, F., Stechele, W.: Optimization Potential of CMOS Power by Wire Spacing. Lecture Notes in Informatics (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Zuber, P., Windschiegl, A., Stechele, W.: Reduction of CMOS Power Consumption and Signal Integrity Issues by Routing Optimization. Design, Automation & Test in Europe DATE (March 2005)Google Scholar