Nonparametric Fingerprint Deformation Modelling
This paper presents a novel approach to modelling fingerprint deformations. When fingerprints are captured, they undergo a certain amount of distortion due to the application of a three dimensional elastic tissue against a flat surface. This poses a challenge for automated fingerprint verification systems, which are generally based on aligning two fingerprints and comparing their respective features. There are only a few methods reported in the literature for modelling fingerprint distortions. One prominent method is based on using minutiae correspondences as landmarks, and creating a deformation model using thin-plate splines. There are several disadvantages to this approach, and a nonparametric elastic modelling algorithm is developed in this paper to address these issues. Both algorithms have been implemented and are evaluated by incorporating them into a fingerprint verification system. The results show an improvement of the proposed algorithm over the existing method of deformation modelling.
KeywordsQuery Image Deformation Modelling Equal Error Rate Distortion Modelling Fingerprint Match
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cappelli, R., Maio, D., Maltoni, D.: Modelling plastic distortion in fingerprint images. In: Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Advances in Pattern Recognition, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, pp. 369–376 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Senior, A., Bolle, R.: Improved fingerprint matching by distortion removal. IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems E84-D, 825–831 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Almansa, A., Cohen, L.: Fingerprint matching by minimization of a thin-plate energy using a two-step algorithm with auxiliary variables. In: Proceedings of the Fifth IEEE Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision, Palm Springs, USA, pp. 35–40 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Yager, N., Amin, A.: Fingerprint verification using two stage optimization. Pattern Recognition Letters (In Press)Google Scholar
- 10.FVC2002: Second International Fingerprint Verification Competition, http://bias.csr.unibo.it/fvc2002/