Resultant-Based Methods for Plane Curves Intersection Problems
We present an algorithm for solving polynomial equations, which uses generalized eigenvalues and eigenvectors of resultant matrices. We give special attention to the case of two bivariate polynomials and the Sylvester or Bezout resultant constructions. We propose a new method to treat multiple roots, detail its numerical aspects and describe experiments on tangential problems, which show the efficiency of the approach. An industrial application of the method is presented at the end of the paper. It consists in recovering cylinders from a large cloud of points and requires intensive resolution of polynomial equations.
KeywordsIntersection Point Singular Value Decomposition Polynomial System Multiple Root Quotient Ring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chaperon, T.: A note on the construction of right circular cylinders through five 3d points. Technical report, Centre de Robotique, École des mines de Paris (January 2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Chaperon, T., Goulette, F., Laurgeau, C.: Extracting cylinders in full 3d data using a random sampling method and the gaussian image. In: Ertl, T., Girod, B., Greiner, G., Nieman, H., Seidel, H. (eds.) Vision, Modeling and Visualization (VMV 2001), Stuttgart (November 2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Elkadi, M., Mourrain, B.: Symbolic-numeric tools for solving polynomial equations and applications. In: Dickenstein, A., Emiris, I. (eds.) Solving Polynomial Equations: Foundations, Algorithms, and Applications. Algorithms and Computation in Mathematics, vol. 14, pp. 125–168. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Fulton, W.: Introduction to intersection theory in algebraic geometry. CBMS Regional Conference Series in Mathematics, vol. 54. Published for the Conference Board of the Mathematical Sciences, Washington (1984)Google Scholar
- 13.Manocha, D., Demmel, J.: Algorithms for intersecting parametric and algebriac curves ii; multiple intersections. Computer vision, Graphics and image processing: Graphical models and image processing 57, 81–100 (1995)Google Scholar
- 17.Van der Waerden, B.L.: Modern algebra, New-York, vol. II. Frederick Ungar Publishing Co. (1948)Google Scholar