An Improved Algorithm for Anchor Shot Detection
Segmentation of news videos into stories is among key issues for achieving efficient treatment of news-based digital libraries. Indeed, anchor shot detection is a fundamental step for segmenting news into stories.
In this paper we present an improved algorithm for anchor shot detection. It is based on a graph theoretical clustering method and exploits the idea of the cluster lifetime for improving the performance. Moreover, a method for automatically fixing all the thresholds required by the original version of the algorithm is also proposed, so making it fully unsupervised.
The proposed algorithm has been tested on a database significantly wider than those typically used in the field, demonstrating its advantages with respect to the original version.
- 1.Furht, B., Smoliar, S.W., Zhang, H.: Video and Image Processing in Multimedia Systems. Kluwer Publishers, Boston (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Avrithis, Y., Tsapatsoulis, N., Kollias, S.: Broadcast news parsing using visual cues: A robust face detection approach. In: Proc. of IEEE ICME, vol. 3, pp. 1469–1472 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Hanjalic, A., Lagendijk, R.L., Biemond, J.: Semi-Automatic News Analysis, Indexing, and Classification System Based on Topics Preselection. In: Proc. of SPIE: Electronic Imaging: Storage and Retrieval of Image and Video Databases, San Jose, CA (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Gao, X., Li, J., Yang, B.: A Graph-Theoretical Clustering based Anchor Shot Detection for News Video Indexing. In: Proc. of Int. Conf. on Comput. Intell. and Multimedia App. (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Balakrishnan, R., Ranganathan, K.: A Textbook of Graph Theory. Springer, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.De Santo, M., Percannella, G., Sansone, C., Vento, M.: A Comparison of Unsupervised Shot Classification Algorithms for News Video Segmentation. In: Fred, A., Caelli, T.M., Duin, R.P.W., Campilho, A.C., de Ridder, D. (eds.) SSPR&SPR 2004. LNCS, vol. 3138, pp. 233–241. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar