A Robust Multi-bit Image Watermarking Algorithm Based on HMM in Wavelet Domain
Robustness is the key issue in the development of multi-bit watermarking algorithm. A new algorithm for robust multi-bit image watermarking based on Hidden Markov Model (HMM) in wavelet domain is proposed in this paper. The algorithm is characterized as follows: (1) the proposed blind detector based on vector HMM, which describes the statistics of wavelet coefficients, achieves significant improvement in performance compared to the conventional correlation detector; (2) adaptive watermark embedding scheme is applied to achieve the low distortion according to the Human Visual System (HVS); (3) optimal multi-bit watermark embedding strategy and maximum-likelihood detection for tree structure of vector HMM is proposed through system robustness analysis. Simulation results show that relatively high capacity for watermark embedding in low frequency subbands of wavelet domain is achieved with the proposed algorithm, and high robust results are observed against StirMark attacks, such as JPEG compression, additive noise, median cut and filter.
KeywordsHide Markov Model Wavelet Coefficient Human Visual System Image Watermark JPEG Compression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Huang, J., Tan, T.: A Review of Invisible Image Watermarking. ACTA Automatica Sinica 26, 646–655 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Chen, B., Wornell, G.W.: An information-theoretic approach to the design of robust digital watermarking systems. In: Proceeding of 1999 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 4, pp. 2061–2064 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Chou, J., Pradhan, S.S., Ramchandran, K.: On the duality between distributed source coding and data hiding. In: Proc. 33rd Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, November 1999, pp. 1503–1507 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Cheng, Q., Huang, T.S.: Blind Digital Watermarking for Images and Videos and Performance Analysis. In: Proc. Int. Conf. Multimedia Expos., New York (August 2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Crouse, M.S., Nowak, R.D., Baraniuk, R.G.: Wavelet-Based Statistical Signal Processing Using Hidden Markov Models. IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing 46(4) (April 1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Watson, B., Yang, G.Y., et al.: Visibility of wavelet quantization noise. IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, 1164–1175 (1997)Google Scholar
- 14.Barni, M., Bartolini, F., Rosa, A.D., Piva, A.: Capacity of the watermark channel: How many bits can be hidden within a digital image? In: Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 437–448 (1999)Google Scholar
- 18.Mayer, J.,, R.: Efficient informed embedding of multi-bit watermark. In: IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 2004, Proceedings (ICASSP 2004), May 2004, vol. 3, pp. III-389–III-392 (2004)Google Scholar
- 19.StirMark, Available, http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~fapp2/watermarking/stirmark/