A Method for Determining Geometrical Distortion of Off-The-Shelf Wide-Angle Cameras
In this work we present a method for calibrating and removing nonlinear geometric distortion of an imaging device. The topic is of importance since most reasoning in projective geometry requires the projection to be strictly line preserving. The model of radial-symmetric pincushion or barrel distortions, is generally not sufficient to compensate for all non-linearities of the projection, this is true especially for wide-angle cameras. Therefore we applied a more complex parametric model to compensate for the non-central distortion effects. The only a-priori knowledge that is used is the straightness of some edges in the recorded image. In our experiments we could show that the method is applicable especially for off-the-self cameras with medium quality optics.
KeywordsCamera Calibration Geometrical Distortion Lens Distortion Canny Edge Detector Distortion Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chetverikov, D., Szabó, Z.: A Simple and Efficient Algorithm for Detection of High Curvature Points in Planar Curves. Technical report (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Deriche, R., Vailant, R., Faugeras, O.: From Noisy Edge Points to 3d Reconstruction of a scene: A Robust Approach and its Uncertainty Analysis. In: Proc. of the 7th Scandinavian Conf. on Image Analysis, Alborg, Denmark, August 1991, pp. 225–232 (1991)Google Scholar
- 5.Habib, A., Morgan, M.: Automatic Calibration of Low Cost digital cameras. SPIE Journal of Optical Engeneering 42(4), 948–955 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Micusik, B., Pajdla, T.: Using RANSAC for Omnidirectional Camera Model Fitting. In: Drbohlav, O. (ed.) Computer Vision - CVWW, Vatice, Czech Republic, February 2003. Czech Pattern Recognition Society (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Pers, J., Kovacic, S.: Nonparametric, Model-Based Radial Lens Distortion Correcting Using Tilted Camera Assumption. In: Kropatsch, H., Wildenauer, W. (eds.) Computer Vision - CVWW, Bad Ausee, Austria, February 2002, pp. 286–295 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Tsai, R.Y.: A Versatile Camera Calibration Technique for High Accuracy 3D Machine Vision Metrology using Off-the-Shelf TV Cameras and Lenses. Technical Report RC 51342, IBM (October 1985)Google Scholar