Hardware Platforms for MEMS Gyroscope Tuning Based on Evolutionary Computation Using Open-Loop and Closed-Loop Frequency Response
We propose a tuning method for MEMS gyroscopes based on evolutionary computation to efficiently increase the sensitivity of MEMS gyroscopes through tuning. The tuning method was tested for the second generation JPL/Boeing Post-resonator MEMS gyroscope using the measurement of the frequency response of the MEMS device in open-loop operation We also report on the development of a hardware platform for integrated tuning and closed-loop operation of MEMS gyroscopes. The control of this device is implemented through a digital design on a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA). The hardware platform easily transitions to an embedded solution that allows for the miniaturization of the system to a single chip.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Chen, Y., M’Closkey, R., Tran, T., Blaes, B.: A control and signal processing integrated circuit for the JPL-Boeing micromachined gyroscopes (submitted to IEEE)Google Scholar
- 4.Terrile, R.J., et al.: Evolutionary Computation Technologies for Space Systems. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky (March 2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Holland, J.H.: Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems. The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor (1975)Google Scholar
- 6.Yuret, D., de la Maza, M.: Dynamic Hill Climbing – Overcoming limitations of optimization teqniques, MA 02139, AI Laboratory. MIT, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- 9.Hayworth, K.: Continuous Tuning and Calibration of Vibratory Gyroscopes. In: NASA Tech Brief (October 2003) (NPO-30449)Google Scholar
- 10.Ferguson, M.I., Keymeulen, D., Peay, C., Yee, K., Li, D.: Effect of Temperature on MEMS Vibratory Rate Gyroscope. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky (March 2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Hayworth, K., Shcheglov, K., Humphreys, T., Challoner, A.: Electrostatic Spring Softening in Redundant Degree of Freedom resonators., patent US 6,823,734 B1, JPL and Boeing, November 30 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.M’Closkey, R., Kim, D.: Real-time tuning of JPL-Boeing MEMS gyro., personal communication, JPL (March 2005)Google Scholar