Semantic Peer-to-Peer Overlays for Publish/Subscribe Networks
Existing publish/subscribe systems suffer from several drawbacks, such as the reliance on a fixed infrastructure of reliable brokers, or the lack of expressiveness of their subscription language. Most importantly, the challenging task of routing messages based on their content remains a complex and time-consuming operation, and often provides results that are just barely better than a simple broadcast.
In this paper, we present a novel approach to publish/subscribe that was designed to specifically address these issues. The producers and consumers are organized in a peer-to-peer network that self-adapts upon peer arrival, departure, or failure. Our publish/subscribe system features an extremely simple and efficient routing process and excellent scalability to large consumer populations, both in terms of routing and peer management overhead.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Carzaniga, A., Rosenblum, D., Wolf, A.: Design and Evaluation of a Wide-Area Event Notification Service. ACM Transactions on Computer Systems 19 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Chan, C.Y., Fan, W., Felber, P., Garofalakis, M., Rastogi, R.: Tree Pattern Aggregation for Scalable XML Data Dissemination. In: Proceedings of VLDB (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Banavar, G., Chandra, T., Mukherjee, B., Nagarajarao, J., Strom, R., Sturman, D.: An efficient multicast protocol for content-based publish-subscribe systems. In: Proceedings of ICDCS (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Chand, R., Felber, P.: A scalable protocol for content-based routing in overlay networks. In: Proceedings of NCA, Cambridge, MA (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Perng, G., Wang, C., Reiter, M.: Providing content based services in a peer to peer environment. In: Proceedings of DEBS, Edinburgh, UK (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Choi, Y., Park, K., Park, D.: Homed: A peer-to-peer overlay architecture for large-scale content-based publish/subscribe systems. In: Proceedings of DEBS, Edinburgh, UK (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Baehni, S., Th, P., Guerraoui, E.: Data-aware multicast. In: Proceedings of the 5th IEEE International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Stoica, I., Morris, R., Karger, D., Kaashoek, F., Balakrishnan, H.: Chord: A scalable peer-to-peer lookup service for internet applications. In: Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM, pp. 149–160 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Terpstra, W., Behnel, S., Fiege, L., Zeidler, A., Buchman, A.: A peer-to-peer approach to content-based publish/subscribe. In: Proceedings of DEBS, San Diego, USA (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Triantafillou, P., Aekaterinidis, I.: Content-based publish-subscribe over structured p2p networks. In: Proceedings of DEBS, Edinburgh, UK (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Chand, R., Felber, P.: Semantic Peer-to-Peer Overlays for Publish/Subscribe Networks. Technical report, Institut EURECOM (2005)Google Scholar