Epidemic-Style Management of Semantic Overlays for Content-Based Searching
A lot of recent research on content-based P2P searching for file- sharing applications has focused on exploiting semantic relations between peers to facilitate searching. To the best of our knowledge, all methods proposed to date suggest reactive ways to seize peers’ semantic relations. That is, they rely on the usage of the underlying search mechanism, and infer semantic relations based on the queries placed and the corresponding replies received. In this paper we follow a different approach, proposing a proactive method to build a semantic overlay. Our method is based on an epidemic protocol that clusters peers with similar content. It is worth noting that this peer clustering is done in a completely implicit way, that is, without requiring the user to specify his preferences or to characterize the content of files he shares.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Risson, J., Moors, T.: Survey of Research towards Robust Peer-to-Peer Networks: Search Methods. Technical Report UNSW-EE-P2P-1-1, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia (September 2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Newman, M.E.J.: Random Graphs as Models of Networks. In: Bornholdt, S., Schuster, H.G. (eds.) Handbook of Graphs and Networks: From the Genome to the Internet, ch.2, John Wiley, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Le Fessant, F., Handurukande, S., Kermarrec, A.-M., MassouliéClustering, L.: in peer-to-peer file sharing workloads. In: 3rd International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS), San Diego, USA (February 2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Watts, D.J.: Small Worlds, The Dynamics of Networks between Order and Randomness. Princeton University Press, Princeton (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Voulgaris, S., Gavidia, D., van Steen, M.: Inexpensive membership management for unstructured p2p overlays. Journal of Network and Systems Management (2005) (to appear) Google Scholar
- 8.Jelasity, M., Babaoglu, O.: T-Man: Fast gossip-based construction of large-scale overlay topologies. Technical Report UBLCS-2004-7, University of Bologna, Department of Computer Science, Bologna, Italy (May 2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Peersim, http://peersim.sourceforge.net/
- 10.edonkey, http://www.edonkey2000.com
- 11.Handurukande, S., Kermarrec, A.-M., Le Fessant, F., Massoulié, L.: Exploiting semantic clustering in the edonkey p2p network. In: 11th ACM SIGOPS European Workshop (SIGOPS), Leuven, Belgium (September 2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Sripanidkulchai, K., Maggs, B., Zhang, H.: Efficient content location using interest-based locality in peer-to-peer systems. In: INFOCOM Conference (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Voulgaris, S., Kermarrec, A., Massoulié, L., van Steen, M.: Exploiting semantic proximity in peer-to-peer content searching. In: 10th International Workshop on Future Trends in Distributed Computing Systems (FTDCS 2004), Suzhu, China (November 2001)Google Scholar