Leaf Recognition Based on the Combination of Wavelet Transform and Gaussian Interpolation
In this paper, a new approach for leaf recognition using the result of segmentation of leaf’s skeleton based on the combination of wavelet transform (WT) and Gaussian interpolation is proposed. And then the classifiers, a nearest neighbor classifier (1-NN), a K-nearest neighbor classifier (k-NN) and a radial basis probabilistic neural network (RBPNN) are used, based on run-length features (RF) extracted from the skeleton to recognize the leaves. Finally, the effectiveness and efficiency of the proposed method is demonstrated by several experiments. The results show that the skeleton can be successfully and obviously extracted from the whole leaf, and the recognition rates of leaves based on their skeleton can be greatly improved.
KeywordsWavelet Transform Detail Image Spline Wavelet Correct Recognition Rate Plant Recognition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Du, J.X., Wang, X.F., Huang, D.S.: Automatic Plant Leaves Recognition System Based on Image Processing Techniques. Technical Report. Institute of Intelligent Machines. Chinese Academy of Sciences (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Akansu, A.N., Richard, A.H.: Multiresolution Signal Decomposition: Transforms, Subbands, Wavelets. Academic Press Inc., London (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.Ahmadian, A.M.: An Efficient Texture Classification Algorithm Using Gabor Wavelet. In: Proceedings of the 25th Annual International Conference of the IEEE EMBS, Cancum. Mexico (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Busch, A., Boles, W., Sridharan, S.: Logarithmic Quantisation of Wavelet Coefficients for Improved Texture Classification Performance. In: The International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing. Proceedings, ICASSP 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Van de Wouwer, G., Scheunders, P., Van Dyck, D.: Statistical Texture Characterization from Discrete Wavelet Representations. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Zhao, W.B., Huang, D.S.: The Structure Optimization of Radial Basis Probabilistic Networks Based on Genetic Agorithm. In: The 2002 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, IJCNN 2002, pp. 1086–1091 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Huang, D.S.: Systematic Theory of Neural Networks for Pattern Recognition, pp. 49–51. Publishing House of Electronic Industry of China, Beijing (1996) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 14.Huang, D.S., Ma, S.D.: A New Radial Basis Probabilistic Neural Network Model. In: The 3rd Int. Conf. on Signal Processing (ICSP) Proceedings, Beijing. China, October 14-18, pp. 1449–1452 (1996)Google Scholar
- 15.Huang, D.S.: The Local Minima Free Condition of Feedforward Neural Networks for Outer-Supervised Learning. IEEE Trans on Systems, Man and Cybernetics 28B(3), 477–480 (1998)Google Scholar