Secure Group Communications over Combined Wired and Wireless Networks
This paper considers the fundamental problem of key agreement among a group of parties communicating over an insecure public network. Over the years, a number of solutions to this problem have been proposed with varying degrees of complexity. However, there seems to have been no previous systematic look at the growing problem of key agreement over combined wired and wireless networks, consisting of both high-performance computing machines and low-power mobile devices. In this paper we present an efficient group key agreement scheme well suited for this networking environment. Our construction is intuitively simple, and yet offers a scalable solution to the problem.
KeywordsGroup key agreement combined wired and wireless networks mobile devices DDH assumption
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Borisov, N., Goldberg, I., Wagner, D.: Intercepting mobile communications: The insecurity of 802.11. In: Proc. of ACM MobiCom 2001, pp. 180–189 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Becker, K., Wille, U.: Communication complexity of group key distribution. In: Proc. of ACM CCS 1998, pp. 1–6 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Bresson, E., Chevassut, O., Essiari, A., Pointcheval, D.: Mutual authentication and group key agreement for low-power mobile devices. In: Proc. of the 5th IFIP-TC6/IEEE International Conference on Mobile and Wireless Communications Networks (MWCN 2003), pp. 59–62 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Bresson, E., Chevassut, O., Pointcheval, D., Quisquater, J.-J.: Provably authenticated group Diffie-Hellman key exchange. In: Proc. of ACM CCS 2001, pp. 255–264 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Perrig, A., Song, D., Tygar, J.D.: ELK, a new protocol for efficient large-group key distribution. In: Proc. of the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, pp. 247–262 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Steiner, M., Tsudik, G., Waidner, M.: Diffie-Hellman key distribution extended to group communication. In: Proc. of ACM CCS 1996, pp. 31–37 (1996)Google Scholar
- 15.Wong, C., Gouda, M., Lam, S.: Secure group communications using key graphs. In: Proc. of ACM SIGCOMM 1998, pp. 68–79 (1998)Google Scholar