On the Placement of Active Monitor in IP Network
There is increasing interest in concurrent active measurement at multiple locations within an IP network. In this paper, we consider the problem of where to place monitors within the network and how to make measurement strategy of each monitor which edges in its measurement tree are measured by the monitor. To address the tradeoff between measurement cost and measurement coverage, we consider several optimization problems on the placement of network monitor. We show that all of the defined problems are NP-hard and propose approximation algorithm to these problem.
KeywordsMaintenance Cost Measurement Tree Active Monitor Facility Location Problem Demand Point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ferguson, P., Houston, G.: Quality of Service: Delivering QoS on the Internet and in Corporate Networks. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Wang, Z.: Internet QoS: Architectures and Mechanisms for Quality of Service. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Stoica, I., Zhang, H.: Providing guaranteed services without per flow management. In: Proceeding of SIGCOMM Symposium on Communications Architectures and Protocols. ACM, Boston (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Breitbart, Y., Chan, C., et al.: Efficiently monitoring bandwidth and latency in IP networks. In: Proceeding of IEEE INFOCOM 2001. IEEE, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Bejerano, Y., Rastogi, R.: Robust monitoring of link delays and faults in IP networks. In: Proceeding IEEE INFOCOM 2003. IEEE, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Fraleigh, C., Diot, C., Lyles, B., Moon, S., Owezarski, P., Papagiannaki, K., Tobagi, F.: Design and deployment of a passive monitoring infrastructure. In: Proceeding of Passive and active measurement workshop. IEEE, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Sharma, M., Iannaccone, G., Bhattacharrya, S.: On the placement of monitoring devices in an IP network. Sprint ATL Research Report RR03-ATL-112424 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.INMON Corp.: sFlow accuracy and billing (2001), http://www.inmon.com/pdf/sFlow.Billing.pdf
- 10.Horton, J., Ortiz, A.: On the number of distributed measurement points for network tomography. In: Proceeding of ACM Internet measurement conference (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Chudak, F., Shmoys, D.: Improved approximation algorithms for the unpacacitated facility location problem. ACM SIAM Journal on computing 1 (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Kolliopoulos, S.G., Young, N.E.: Tight Approximation Results for General Covering Integer Programs. In: Proceeding of IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 522–528. IEEE, New York (2001)Google Scholar