String Coding of Trees with Locality and Heritability
We consider the problem of coding labelled trees by means of strings of vertex labels and we present a general scheme to define bijective codes based on the transformation of a tree into a functional digraph. Looking at the fields in which codes for labelled trees are utilized, we see that the properties of locality and heritability are required and that codes like the well known Prüfer code do not satisfy these properties. We present a general scheme for generating codes based on the construction of functional digraphs. We prove that using this scheme, locality and heritability are satisfied as a direct function of the similarity between the topology of the functional digraph and that of the original tree. Moreover, we also show that the efficiency of our method depends on the transformation of the tree into a functional digraph. Finally we show how it is possible to fit three known codes into our scheme, obtaining maximum efficiency and high locality and heritability.
KeywordsOutgoing Edge Original Tree Code Algorithm Span Tree Problem Label Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cayley, A.: A theorem on trees. Quarterly Journal of Mathematics 23, 376–378 (1889)Google Scholar
- 4.Deo, N., Micikevicius, P.: Parallel algorithms for computing Prüfer-like codes of labeled trees. Computer Science Technical Report, CS-TR-01-06 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Edelson, W., Gargano, M.L.: Feasible encodings for GA solutions of constrained minimal spanning tree problems. In: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2000), p. 754. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Gottlieb, J., Raidl, G., Julstrom, B.A., Rothlauf, F.: Prüfer Numbers: A Poor Representation of Spanning Trees for Evolutionary Search. In: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2001), pp. 343–350 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Julstrom, B.A.: The Blob Code: A Better String Coding of Spanning Trees for Evolutionary Search. In: 2001 Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference Workshop Program, pp. 256–261 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Kelmans, A., Pak, I., Postnikov, A.: Tree and forest volumes of graphs. DIMACS Technical Report 2000-03 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Picciotto, S.: How to encode a tree. Ph.D. Thesis, University of California, San Diego (1999)Google Scholar